PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:56 am 
Silverback
Silverback

http://youtu.be/6fc_AnLaBew

Post subject: Re: Ray Rice suspended just 2 games
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

First offense. We didn't see what all happened but Goodell got the entire security camera footage supposedly. If something would happen again I suspect he would get the book thrown at him. I think that there are provisions for punishments set up in the CBA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:25 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Yeah it's kind of a conundrum. What he did is pretty serious, yet it wasn't on the field, yet he should be held in a higher regard being a public figure... Does it fit the crime?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

What he did was wrong. Should he be punished at work for it? I would probably lose my job. But he is a football player so in the grand scheme of things I don't really care. He ended up marrying the chick the next day so maybe she was also partially responsible/active participant in the fight? I mean I think it is a dick move to punch a woman for the most part. But there are times I would easily do it. I wouldn't do it to my wife/fiancee. I don't see how that could be appropriate but I can't imagine being married to someone that I would think was willing to take my life. (unless I had it coming) Self defense is pretty sketchy argument here although I think he has a right to self preservation.

I know if I punched my wife in the face we wouldn't be getting married the next day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Quote:
A list of acts worse than beating a woman unconscious, according to the NFL.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/24/59342 ... ence-women

I'm sorry, but just throw the book at him. Period. We know why they won't, but the NFL is just determined to look stupid as fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:16 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Without seeing the entire fight from the start, I'm withholding judgement about the punishment. Beside that, the fact that there exists solid evidence of the fight and Ms. Rice could have sued him down to his cleats, but didn't, means to me that she's giving him a pass for some reason. When she spoke at their press conference she mentioned that they "were both better people" and something to the effect that they were both responsible for what occurred. She could have walked away free and financially comfortable. But if she loves him enough to stay after shoravenken, then it seems that there is more to the story than is publicly known.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:21 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
Without seeing the entire fight from the start, I'm withholding judgement about the punishment. Beside that, the fact that there exists solid evidence of the fight and Ms. Rice could have sued him down to his cleats, but didn't, means to me that she's giving him a pass for some reason. When she spoke at their press conference she mentioned that they "were both better people" and something to the effect that they were both responsible for what occurred. She could have walked away free and financially comfortable. But if she loves him enough to stay after shoravenken, then it seems that there is more to the story than is publicly known.

So what you're saying is that whatever she did deserved getting knocked the fuck out by an elite athlete?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
Keer wrote:

So what you're saying is that whatever she did deserved getting knocked the fuck out by an elite athlete?

No, what he is saying is that people make mistakes and if she was violently attacking him he may have reflexively defended himself and knocked her out. We didn't see everything and can't make a decision on the reality of what happened because we don't know what really took place.

I had a boss that knocked his wife out at their wedding reception. It wasn't intentional but he punched her in the face during an event that is quite common in the Scranton PA area. There is a tradition of the bride's family surrounding the bride and the groom has to "fight" their way through the wall of humanity to get to the new bride for a dance. In the ensuing struggle one of his waving arms made contact with her face and she went down. Now, did he mean to knock her out? No. But there was a series of unnecessary events that led to the knockout.

What was she doing that precipitated his reaction? We may never know the answer to that. Really I don't care. They have made their peace with the situation and that is the end of it from my perspective. His response may or may not have been justified. The fact that he is a professional athlete has nothing to do with whether or not he has a right to protect himself. He isn't a professional fighter. He is a professional football player. There is a difference. Is he more physically fit than the average man? Sure. That doesn't make his actions any more or less acceptable than any other man. If he was a professional fighter and well versed on defending himself without fighting back you may have a point. But unless he was trying to pick her up on a blitz at his QB or spinning out of a tackle I don't see where the professional athlete moniker has meaning in this argument. What if he was a bricklayer? A soldier? Does any of that matter at the end of the day?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:44 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
Keer wrote:

I don't know how you got there with that question. By definition, alot of actions fall under "whatever". But we may never know without seeing the entire surveillance recording. If you've been reading about the incident, you'd know that the police say they have video evidence of both parties attacking each other. So...unless she was attacking him while she was unconscious...her attacks had to have happened before she got knocked out. But no one is stating details. The fact that it's a female attacking in "whatever" way shouldn't disqualify her from getting knocked out.

For example, eyeballs are a better target than scrotum. In a fight, poking a finger deep into an eye socket and swirling it around could be lethal. Touch brain at worst, cause pain at best. Blindness or scratched cornea. It doesn't take any training or major strength. For weaker women, kids. Anyone can do it (credit to Bruce Lee's maxims of self-defense). And if anyone, man or woman, tried to intentionally blind me, I'd have no restraint against knocking them the fuck out. But we don't know if that's whatever she did, or how many times she may have tried to do whatever, because we can't see the whole recording. Thus, I reserve my judgement.

Press conference. I don't know how one becomes a better person by getting knocked out for no good reason. Maybe she was just playing nice for the media to help out her husband. Or she knows more about what happened than we do. Because she was there and we can't see the whole recording. Again, I reserve my judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Ray Rice gets cut by the ravens.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1931889

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:56 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Yeah, I don't what she was doing but it certainly didn't seem to warrant that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:15 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Carpetbagger wrote:

Now that it's obvious from the full recording, I can give fair and complete judgement on what happened. The league ban was way late, but appropriate. The little tap that his then-fiancee gave him on his chin with her open hand was harmless. I've used more energy to swat mosquitoes, and they carry malaria. And she only did that after he jumped at her, coming within a few inches of her face. Ray Rice was the provoker.

Then he waited until the doors closed and physically provoked her again with a push. When she pushed back, he struck her face. Then again hard enough to knock her from her feet, with her head squarely hitting the hand rail as she went down to the elevator floor, out cold. Yeah, Ray Rice is getting what he brought on himself. As far as Janay Rice, whatever reason she has to marry a man that would do that to her, just weeks prior to the wedding, she is now fully aware of what she might be bringing on herself. Good luck in life, adult human beings.

As for the NFL, pro teams, Commissioners, I don't think any of us can be surprised at the clumsy and immoral way this has been handled. They've been far more sleazy than upright.

Home