It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Post subject: xcom is out
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

That's all. Go play.

Oh and its cheaper on amazon than on steam, but gives you a steam code.

Post subject: Re: xcom is out
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
That's all. Go play.

Oh and its cheaper on amazon than on steam, but gives you a steam code.

The one they just dropped the demo for, Enemy Unknown?

It's actually not bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:07 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I got bored halfway through the single button demo and quit. I know the game is WAY better than that, but ugh, that demo. So bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

It's not a turn based 3/4 view strategy game you say? Not interested.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:38 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Zannon, I hope you just ran out and bought it, because it is absolutely an isometric 3/4 perspective turn based strategy game, just with next gen graphics.

OH SNAP, SON.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Well shit my britches. Looks like I got a game to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Zannon wrote:
Well shit my britches. Looks like I got a game to buy.

Fans of the classic say they pretty much nailed it, so you should enjoy it :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Been Playing it NON-Stop! It's awesome! and yes it's tactical strategy game with that isometric view. Zannon you'll love it! And when you get it we'll have to try the multi sometime since I seem to be only one playing it on xbox.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:39 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

azeledge wrote:
Been Playing it NON-Stop! It's awesome! and yes it's tactical strategy game with that isometric view. Zannon you'll love it! And when you get it we'll have to try the multi sometime since I seem to be only one playing it on xbox.

Already told the wife I'll hate her forever if I don't get it for my birthday, so I should have it on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:07 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I picked it up last week and am enjoying it. A little disappointed with the depth of the research and development aspects, but I like it overall. The different class abilities are varied and interesting. Most importantly, they're useful.

I wish they had done the UFO tracking and hunting a little differently. Kinda hoped for a "Top Gun: Hard Lock" kind of QTE system, but it's still just luck of the draw.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Is everyone else constantly broke? It seems no matter how well I do, that I'm constantly low on cash. Makes it hard to buy all the new equipment I research. Plus I think the percentage hit system lies. I can't tell you how many times I've missed with it reading 99-100% chance to hit and then had every single alien shot hit home long range through cover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 am 
Silverback
Silverback

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Is everyone else constantly broke? It seems no matter how well I do, that I'm constantly low on cash. Makes it hard to buy all the new equipment I research. Plus I think the percentage hit system lies. I can't tell you how many times I've missed with it reading 99-100% chance to hit and then had every single alien shot hit home long range through cover.

It sounds like the cash might be scaled right (if you're always craving more; like I think they want you making hard decisions all the time), but yeah, I'm hearing a LOT of complaints about the hit %s from everyone. It sounds like they should have cheated the %s like +/-10%, so if they're saying you have a 75% chance to hit, you really have an 85-90% chance, and then flip it to the reverse of that for enemies, if for no other reason than it FEELS better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
It sounds like the cash might be scaled right (if you're always craving more; like I think they want you making hard decisions all the time), but yeah, I'm hearing a LOT of complaints about the hit %s from everyone. It sounds like they should have cheated the %s like +/-10%, so if they're saying you have a 75% chance to hit, you really have an 85-90% chance, and then flip it to the reverse of that for enemies, if for no other reason than it FEELS better.

I saw in one of the interviews that its their intent that you can't build everything in the base. That you have to make choices. I get that. I just feel like I'm sitting there with no cash and its preventing me from doing basic things like hiring replacement soldiers so I can actually respond to calls. Unless you get a bunch of satellites up early for the bonus income, you're in trouble. Anyone know if there is a way to get member countries to rejoin xcom?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to get member countries to rejoin xcom?

I have heard that maybe you have to do a bunch of alien abduction missions? I could have mixed signals there, though (not playing the game, just listening to Twitter feed people talking about it).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Shit, I'm playing it on easy and I'm always strapped for cash.

Things I've learned:

-Start building multiple satellites as soon as you get your check from The Council...takes 20 friggin days and if a country is at max panic when the next report comes in, they gone. the day before the report, launch a satellite if it looks like someone will bolt...their panic decreases by 2. Also, when you get full coverage of a continent, abductions stop happening on that continent so that helps manage panic. I don't think there is a way for countries to rejoin (not sure on that, but i've been trying), so watch your ass, you can only lose 7.

-Build a setellite nexus ASAP. Make sure you build it next to your first comm array so you get the adjacency bonus. With that, you can have total of 7 satellites in orbit (I think? 2 for the first array, 4 with the nexus, and 1 for the bonus) which gives you breathing room. Also, do the tutorial, even though it's long and boring. You get a free satellite and that's worth it.

-After every mission (especially the downed UFO ones) check "The Grey Market" tab in the situation room...there's a couple items that show up that have no worth EXCEPT to be sold on the market (item description tells you). They're not usually worth much, but every penny counts. After a few missions, you will also have a lot of elerium and alloy that you don't really have money to use, so sell a chunk of that too if you need fast cash.

-Defense > Offense. Your soldiers get wounded (and put out of action) if they take more total damage in a round than their armor provides. The biggest problem I had was that my squaddies were getting wounded and were unavailable for mssions when I needed them. Prioritizing armor over weapons helped, at least for me.

-The heavy has a really useful a passive ability that ups the accuracy (+10) of all shots taken on a target that he fired on in that round...use him first if you can, the +10 is super useful. Snipers have 2 useful skills that allow them to take (1) 2 shots in a round and (2) fire on an enemy if a teammate has LOS. Once you upgrade his weaponry, he becomes an absolute monster.

-Sometimes it's easier to get equipment by stunning an enemy instead of buying. If you stun an enemy, their equipment remains intact and you can use it once you do the research for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Another couple things.

-Bring a Support or 2 and get their upgraded healing abilities. Eventually, they get a second inventory slot. Can't put in another medkit, but you can put in whatev.

-Don't put assault squaddies on overwatch unless you're POSITIVE there are enemies out of sight that are really close. Their upgraded shotgun is awesome, but you have to be close and it chews through ammo. Until you have a good shotgun, they can use the beam and plasma weapons, but they don't pack the same punch.

-Use overwatch sparingly. If you keep your squad together (as you should) and put em all on overwatch, they all light up instantly on the first thing they see. If it's a sectoid, you just blew a huge wad on an enemy with a whopping 3hp. Hunker down or reload if you have to. Also, once you clear a group, take a turn reloading before you send your scouts ahead to look for enemies. Kinda duh, but worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Some stuff I've learned-

- Reload after every encounter. Spend a turn doing it unless you're on a time sensitive mission like diffusing bombs. Running out mid-firefight sucks.

-Only every explore with your first guy or last guy after putting everyone else on overwatch. Sometimes you get lucky and kill aliens before they can run to cover with the overwatch, or going first you can respond to them.

-Build a power generator on steam

-Engineers are much much more important than scientists.

-Apparently the missions you don't take have terror go up 2 in the country you didn't pick, and 1 in the rest of the continent. The terror gauge in the mission room doesn't tell the whole story.

I sold a bunch of shit in the grey market and am launch 5 satellites shortly. That should make my money problems disappear for a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:06 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Some stuff I've learned-

- Reload after every encounter. Spend a turn doing it unless you're on a time sensitive mission like diffusing bombs. Running out mid-firefight sucks.

-Only every explore with your first guy or last guy after putting everyone else on overwatch. Sometimes you get lucky and kill aliens before they can run to cover with the overwatch, or going first you can respond to them.

-Build a power generator on steam

-Engineers are much much more important than scientists.

-Apparently the missions you don't take have terror go up 2 in the country you didn't pick, and 1 in the rest of the continent. The terror gauge in the mission room doesn't tell the whole story.

I sold a bunch of shit in the grey market and am launch 5 satellites shortly. That should make my money problems disappear for a bit.

Also, I forgot...every once in a while, you'll get a request from a council nation for x number y. Try to do them. Sometimes they'll lower panic sometimes you'll get hella rewards. Gave up 4 plasma rifles for just under 2k in cash. Totally worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

some tips I use.

I do use overwatch a lot and seems to work. Especialy when you have a guy scouting up ahead the overwatch teammates protect him/her.

give your assault person Best Armor and shotgun and Tazer thing to capture aliens.

I noticed also when you aim at an alien it will show the amount of life you take off without a critical hit. This way you wear down an enemy and then you know when to charge and Tazer him!

Don't underestimate the use of cover fire. Especially when keeping BIG enemies at bay. ie Shooting enemies that is.

SAVE often in battles. I know it's cheap but you can save anytime so if you did something completely stupid or a favorite squad member died just reload.

Snipers are your best Overwatchers. So while u scout ahead with a Assault guy and he run's into aliens your Sniper will ping them for you!

Key to money! Satelites!!! and the air force to protect them. Try to upgrade that stuff. Airforce also downs the ufo's for squaddies to cleanup and get resources!

Never sell your alloys I'm always short on those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Wait a sec...is this a continuation of that UFO defense force game from MS-DOS 1990s?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:31 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe-Z wrote:
Wait a sec...is this a continuation of that UFO defense force game from MS-DOS 1990s?

YES

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:43 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I think they're billing it as a remake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:

YES

Holy shit... I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

OK, got it for 360, but I wanna finish Dishonored first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zannon wrote:
OK, got it for 360, but I wanna finish Dishonored first.

COOL! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Apparently there are 4 special hero units you can unlock. It's totally game breaking and it disables cheevos, but once you're done playing the game proper you can give it a shot. If you change the name of any of your squadmates to Sid Meier, Joe Kelly, Ken Levine, or Otto Zander you'll get a kick ass support, heavy, sniper, and assault, all with top gear and wicked stats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Carpetbagger wrote:
Apparently there are 4 special hero units you can unlock. It's totally game breaking and it disables cheevos, but once you're done playing the game proper you can give it a shot. If you change the name of any of your squadmates to Sid Meier, Joe Kelly, Ken Levine, or Otto Zander you'll get a kick ass support, heavy, sniper, and assault, all with top gear and wicked stats.

Cool will have to try that!

Beat the game last week! So I'm up for some multi-player Zannon when your ready!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

I totally loved this game growing up, I'm definately going to have to check it out for the PC...it makes me all nestalgic or whatever. Where's the Dune 2 remake?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

This is now out for iPad, basically the exact same game for $5 with some stuff cut...anyone else get it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Ok I'm addicted :D

Home