It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 am

Post subject: Tom Brady suspended and Patriots fined
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Tom Brady has been suspended for four games next season and the Patriots have been fined 1 million dollars over DeflateGate

Post subject: Re: Tom Brady suspended and Patriots fined
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:12 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Just a reminder that someone got suspended from 2x more games this year for deflating footballs than someone else did last year for punching their wife/girlfriend into unconsciousness.

Oh, NFL.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:53 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Sorry, that is not true. Yes, initially Rice was suspended 2 games. The Ravens then fired him and then the league suspended him indefinitely. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/23/5 ... ogy-ravens

I know it took them a long time but Rice will lose more over something that happened off the field than Tom Brady ever will for something that happened on the field and possibly impacted that actual business that the NFL is supposed to be concerned with regulating.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Drunk247 wrote:
Sorry, that is not true. Yes, initially Rice was suspended 2 games. The Ravens then fired him and then the league suspended him indefinitely. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/23/5 ... ogy-ravens

I know it took them a long time but Rice will lose more over something that happened off the field than Tom Brady ever will for something that happened on the field and possibly impacted that actual business that the NFL is supposed to be concerned with regulating.

Oh, dude, no. Go re-read that timeline.

Feb 15: Rice and girlfriend arrested for assault
March: Nothing
April: Still nothing, but this month is hella important.
May: Guess what? Nothing.
June: Nothing!
July 24: Five months later a 2 game suspension
August 28: NFL admits "missteps," implements a domestic violence policy
Sept 8: TMZ pantses everyone with the actual face punch videotape. NFL and Ravens FINALLY act for reals, using the reasoning he lied to them about what happened to levy a lifetime suspension.
Sept 10: AP says they know NFL saw the video in April
Nov 6: NFL admits Rice admitted at June 16th hearing that he punched his girlfriend in the elevator.
Nov 28: Arbitrator re-instates Rice as eligible player as he "came clean" in June and didn't lie to the NFL, removing the reason for the indefinite suspension (so he got 2 games for punching a woman out cold, indefinite suspension for lying to the NFL, which he didn't even do).

Sure, he's a toxic asset and nobody is going to re-sign him, but the NFL is a bunch of filthy fucking liars and deserve absolutely nothing for how they handled this, blatantly lying to everyone involved and attempting to wash their hands of any wrongdoing. If they could have kept the 2 game suspension, they would have. That was their punishment, that they delivered knowing full well what transpired.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:03 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I read it. The arbitrator overturned the indefinite suspension.

Sept. 8: Rice suspended indefinitely by NFL

Soon after the Ravens announced they would be releasing Rice, the NFL announced that Rice will be suspended indefinitely. There is no word yet when he may return, putting the free agent's football career on hold.

It is there. It happened. Maybe not when you wanted it to happen but it happened.

You act as if somehow the total punishment inflicted on Tom Brady is worse than the total punishment Ray Rice will receive. That is bullshit. Ray Rice is effectively out of football unless Jerry Jones needs a running back. Tom Brady will come back to play as if nothing ever happened. He will still go to the Hall of Fame. He will still have endorsement deals for Flexall when he is long retired.

Ray Rice will have none of that. The NFL may not have done the right thing but the team (who is his employer) did. I'd rather the employer have the say about off field conduct rather than the governing body for the rules of what is supposed to happen on the field. This is a legal matter and the only reason the NFL did anything is because fans think it is the responsibility of the league to be the babysitter for these adults and the owners are too chickenshit to police their own teams.

I think that the game sucks and is a complete farce for the most part. That is because the league spends far too much time dealing with all this off field BS. Let the legal system work it out and actually concentrate on fixing all the BS that goes on on the field.

I'm not on Ray Rice's side and I sure as shit don't like the league but let us quit all this BS that the league but it is the owners who keep allowing this shit to happen. They create this group that is supposed to be a rules making body so that they don't have to look like the bad guy. Be an owner. Man up like the Ravens did and fire the assholes that do this shit. That will stop it. The league office is poorly equipped to deal with this crap because it isn't what they are designed for.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:36 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Drunk247 wrote:
Be an owner. Man up like the Ravens did and fire the assholes that do this shit.

Only AFTER the video leaked in full and they couldn't deny they had seen it or knew the truth. Again, everyone knew probably as early as APRIL that he did what he did (there's no way the Commissioner saw it and didn't call the owners), but we know absolutely as fact that as of the June 16th hearing that he punched the shit out of her and knocked her out (by his own admission! Again, I promise that the NFL called the Ravens owners, if a Ravens rep wasn't already there), and the team didn't fire him 'till the video surfaced, three months later.

We at least agree that the league is bullshit! I'm happy we can have that :)

But apologies, saying "you get more games suspended for abusing balls than you do a woman" is still an entirely appropriate, fair, and accurate assessment of the entire league.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

The Patriots are losing some draft picks too now

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am 
Silverback
Silverback

And even more ridiculous, the fans of the Patriots have set up a gofundme to pay for the the $1 million fine... So a billionaire doesn't have to pay it

Are fucking kidding me?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Patriots fans are really weird from my experiences up that way. But I'm sure some asshat would do this for just about any team in the NFL. People aren't all that bright.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Tom Brady beats deflategate case. Suspension lifted...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:22 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

The best part is that the Judge put quotes around "independent" every time he referred to the Well's report. And apparently, he was also openly super fucking critical of the NFL during all of their testimony. He had it out for them from the get go and it could have some serious impact on how much authority Goodell has in disciplinary decisions going forward.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:09 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I hate Tom Brady.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Oh, surprise, Patriots have basically been gigantic cheaters for the past 15 straight years.

Bombshell ESPN report. Deadspin (linked) sums it up quicker.

http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-repo ... 1729286402

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:01 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I'm shocked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I can believe they were cheating, but I didn't believe to the levels they were cheating, like stealing the other teams play list... But I never would've thought Goodall was covering for them, and then fucked it up with deflategate...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:06 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I had pretty much resigned myself to a lot of this shit being rigged because this is a business... but this shit is really too much. The randomness of the discipline system has always seemed odd. But this is basically a league where anything goes so long as it doesn't hit the papers. How long before we hear about the players being paid to lose games?

Home