It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 am

Post subject: So will they go after the Blackhawks next?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 am 
Silverback
Silverback

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/trademar ... skins-name

Post subject: Re: So will they go after the Blackhawks next?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/trademark-board-rules-against-redskins-name

For the name? I doubt it. It's not disparaging in and of itself. The racist iconography? Yeah, probably.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 am 
Silverback
Silverback

I think the difference is that redskins is also related to scalping Indians, vs Blackhawks are a tribe, and the Blackhawks have a great relationship with local Indian organizations...but yeah that lobbyist group will probably go after them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Carpetbagger wrote:
Skull1 wrote:

For the name? I doubt it. It's not disparaging in and of itself. The racist iconography? Yeah, probably.

Why is the Blackhawks logo racist? Because it depicts a Blackhawk Native American?

I am seriously asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Carpetbagger wrote:
Skull1 wrote:

Why is the Blackhawks logo racist? Because it depicts a Blackhawk Native American?

I am seriously asking.

To be clear, I think it's far less offensive than the Redskins issue, but the fact remains. Would it be appropriate to use a stylized (and stereotypical) profile of a white, black, or mexican person as a mascot? My gut feeling on that is no, so I can't in good conscience say that there's nothing insulting about the indian head logo.

The tomahawks, the feathers...it's all a stereotypical co-opting of "things we think are Indian" and they're pasted on sweaters and hats and memorabilia as if there's no history or importance there beyond the history of the team, but there is. Even in the name itself...while the team was specifically named after a WWI unit, the name Black Hawk isn't the name of a tribe. It was one guy, a Sauk War chief who led a rebellion against federal land seizure that was very brutally squashed and he sure as hell didn't look like that. If our aim is to pay tribute to his sacrifice, it's kind of weird that we're using a stereotyped caricature to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 am 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

The thinking is that it's a form of discrimination to use a race/group as a team mascot, regardless of whether or not the usage is respectful. I think it's a matter of drawing the line somewhere. You could argue that the "Patriots" fall into this category even. I don't know if "Blackhawks" goes over that line or not, but I think "Redskins" does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:47 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 1702.story

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

To be clear, I don't think the name "Blackhawks" is offensive. To be honest, since it isn't the name of a tribe at all, it kind of sidesteps that issue. But the imagery is separate and, I think, a lot harder to justify.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Something helpful for us, the fans, is that it ranks as the best logo in the nhl...everyone likes the logo

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/1 ... kings.html

And when you think about it, it's really only the logo...you don't see some cheesy Indian mascot jumping around...we have tommy hawk, the bird...we don't have tomahawk chopping in the crowd or other dumb shit like that

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ist-149937

Also

Quote:
Blackhawks Executive Vice President Jay Blunk responded that the team considered its logo to be "respectful and proud."

He noted that the team developed a relationship with the American Indian Center of Chicago during its last championship season. The team has since posted a short biography of Black Hawk on its website, invited an American Indian veteran onto the ice for the national anthem and supported an effort to renovate the Black Hawk statue in Oregon.

"Both (the team and the American Indian Center) want to use the Blackhawks' influence to help teach about Native American history and culture," Blunk said.

Joseph Podlasek, the center's executive director, said the team's charitable foundation also contributed $60,000 to build a recreation center inside his group's North Side building.

Quote:
Said the Blackhawks' statement: "We are very proud of our logo and the history it represents, dating back to our inception into the NHL in 1926. We have a strong relationship with the American Indian Center of Chicago, one of the oldest Indian Centers in the United States, and are honored to have their support.

"Through a genuine and ongoing dialogue we continue to learn about the needs of the native people in our community, display a reverence for their culture and their traditions, and understand the need for constant communication regarding the use and the depiction of native marks."

Scott Sypolt, general counsel for the American Indian Center of Chicago, which he said represents roughly 50 tribes in the Midwest, said the hockey team's front office has created "a genuine and ongoing dialogue with the native community in Illinois and for that we respect them."

Sypolt does not respect some of the other teams with Indian names. "There is a clear distinction," he said, "between sports teams that depict Native Americans as caricatures and red, screaming savages. ... If you look at Chief Wahoo, you have the big lips, the exaggerated nose and the beady eyes."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:10 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I suppose I'll have to shut up and listen if Native Americans want to ban the Blackhawks sweater, but yeah, it's not Redskins name/iconography territory.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:22 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Zanshin wrote:
I suppose I'll have to shut up and listen if Native Americans want to ban the Blackhawks sweater, but yeah, it's not Redskins name/iconography territory.

Zanshin shut up?

Home