It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: FUCKIN A...ChicaGOOOOOOOOOOOO BEARS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

What a pathetic game...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Ok let's look at the bright side here

The Bears have been putting up lots of points, the most since Cutler has been here. He's rated #8 in the league.

Now Cutler goes down, and what normally happens? The Bears so so offense turns to absolute shit... What happened yesterday?

We still put up 40+ points, against a decent team, with a no name backup qb. That is truly shocking to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

The offense was absolutely a passing machine, which helps Forte out, so yeah, way to go offense. Was seriously floored that MacNown or whatever his name is didn't completely shit the bed. Only real complaint was him allowing himself to be sacked rather than throwing the ball away and taking a penalty with 10 seconds left. That was bush league.

However.

This was the most points the Bears have EVER scored in history and still lost the game (41).
This was the most allowed yards a Defense has allowed an opposing Offense to EVER get (499).

The Defense was fucking PATHETIC. They seriously need to retire "Monsters of the Midway" if they're going to allow that kind of performance from an 0-and-5 team again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Yea, so the playoffs are still a possibility, but that's kind of moot at this point. It's clear that the Bears defense is trading on their name at this point. With McCown at the helm, the offense won't be able to make up for the deficiencies on the other side of the ball. He's certainly the most competent backup qb we've had in ages and he's arguably better than that last handful of our starting qbs...but he's not going to win us any shootouts. And the Bears defense is making that a necessity.

I like Bostic. I like Greene. I think we've got some decent rookies on the D. But they're not ready. And considering the age of our defensive core, it was all or nothing this year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 am 
Silverback
Silverback

McCown has been our backup for a few years now. That's what makes it even more surprising.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
McCown has been our backup for a few years now. That's what makes it even more surprising.

Not SO surprising, considering he was picked up during the failed Hanie and Martz experiments of 2011 when Cutler went down for the year with his broken thumb. That system was too complex for all of our personnel, including our starting qb, so it didn't matter who was filling that role, he was going to stink. With a more competent offense, his improvement was pretty much assured.

McCown has been in the league on and off for 11 years and he's an ok backup, averaging a qb rating of around 70 when he played more than a couple games in a year. His stats for the Washington game are EXTREMELY off of his career averages, so I'm taking them as an anomaly until he strings together some consistent awesomeness. I don't think it's that uncommon for backups to come in and play above their level since defenses have been game planning the starter for a week, not the backup. I wholly expect him to get his world rocked in 2 weeks. Packers defense the last few years has been awful on paper, but, for some reason, never when they play Chicago (lost last 6 by at least 7 points or more, with our highest scoring game being 21).

Ugh. This year had so much promise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Carpetbagger wrote:

Ugh. This year had so much promise.

Yeah we'll see what happens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:23 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Think the beats miss Urlacher?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 am 
Silverback
Silverback

MrDooo wrote:
Think the beats miss Urlacher?

Even Urlacher couldn't save this shit-show defense. Right now he's sipping martinis and thinking "holy fuck not taking that money is the best decision I ever made."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:05 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I'll never understand how the rules of this game are constantly open to interpretation. Guy throws a ball, or fumbles it and it hits the ground the play is over....right? Apparently not. This is why I fucking hate the NFL, only the refs know whats happening on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:56 am 
Silverback
Silverback

LL Cool Jabe wrote:
I'll never understand how the rules of this game are constantly open to interpretation. Guy throws a ball, or fumbles it and it hits the ground the play is over....right? Apparently not. This is why I fucking hate the NFL, only the refs know whats happening on the field.

They have been interpreting that as a Dead Ball for at least the past 7 seasons (if not longer). There are multiple examples from even THIS season where the teams were confused and did not advance the ball, so even when they realized they should run with it, the refs whistled the play dead anyway.

Boykin stood still and walked a step BACKWARDS for 3.5 seconds. If that isn't a Dead Ball, then the rule needs to be re-written, because it states in Article 1 section 2e that if the player stops advancing the ball, it is a DEAD BALL.

Not only did the refs fucking blow that (great job on the fumble, that was in fact a fumble, but the PLAYERS didn't see that), then the fucking commentators all focused on the fumble and not the fucking DEAD BALL. "Yep, he can run with it there!" Yes, he can. But he DIDN'T. DEAD. BALL.

And let's face it: that wasn't the only shit-show call from the refs that game. Holy fuck that game was replacement refs bad.

(others include Downing the ball at the 1 inch line = a touchback, and "roughing the passer" when he clearly rolled over the top of Rogers and tried NOT to deiver a hit after he was already down).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Thanks for the explanation and confirmation of my suspicions of bullshittery.

I am so tired of watching these games and not knowing WTF is happening. I need to go back to something I can enjoy watching as far as live sports. And they wonder why this has never taken off in other countries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:16 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

LL Cool Jabe wrote:

I am so tired of watching these games and not knowing WTF is happening. I need to go back to something I can enjoy watching as far as live sports. And they wonder why this has never taken off in other countries.

I recommend cricket.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

MrDooo wrote:
LL Cool Jabe wrote:

I recommend cricket.

What's funny is the lack of proper officiating and the DRAMA that ensues from that is part of what makes Soccer so fucking popular overseas (I've had this discussion with Euro Footall lovers; they don't like an overly officiated game). Think about it: there are only 1 Referee and 2 Line Judges in Soccer for the same amount of players on the field (22) as opposed to what, 5? in Football? Not including all of the instant replays and "The Booth" refs who can review a play.

I would think that these kind of bullshit calls would make the NFL MORE popular overseas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:18 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Can we talk seriously about cutting Cutler? (Yes, this article is intentionally facetious)

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... jay-cutler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:54 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Can we talk seriously about cutting Cutler? (Yes, this article is intentionally facetious)

I haven't been a football watcher for some time now, but social osmosis from family, most friend's fantasy league banter, co-worker's ditto, and what I do remember from my recently abandoned favorite sport ever, I would support Bears letting Cutler go.

The Bears seem to be suffering the hangover of the 2006-2007 Champion/top contender seasons, where all you needed was a QB just a little bit better than Grossman or Orton. "If only we had a little better QB...". No shame in it. It's a perennial condition since the forward pass. Eventually, you got one in Cutler...but in the meanwhile the best assets of the team, the Defense, were diminished. Still, now that you have Cutler there's the strong reluctance to let him go because you might get back to that 2006 level and you don't wan't to relive the QB deficiency.

But there's a question that needs to be asked. Will any NFL team ever have that type of hard-hitting, physically intimidating juggernaut defense again? With the New NFL ("Offenseball" even moreso than before), penalty-happy, and stricter injury protocols, I think we've seen the last of teams with Chicago D-2006, New York Jets D-2008, Steelers D-200various, etc. etc. The future will be, even more, about QB's with very low turn-over & high accuracy. More prized than even running ability and arm strength.

So there's Cutler. Low-turnovers and accuracy are not his strengths. Definitely not a running read-option QB either. He doesn't seem to be one who can adapt to a new way either (in all fairness, most players wouldn't at this point in their careers, either). The immediate future of the NFL will be about quick thinking-on-their-feet QB's (defenses will need to have new and more "funny formations" to adapt to the new dilution of physicality), with a decent RB threat, with a consistent possession Tight End, low turnovers, and high accuracy. Tony Romo is better than Jay Cutler...and not by a little bit. Yep. If these links in the logic chain are correct, then Cutler needs to go. Start shopping, asap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:

It is no secret that I absolutely detest diabeetus QB. Never cared for him. Although we spend much time using his comments as jokes in our office. You guys can find a better QB that will take advantage of the other weapons and cost you less. He isn't a terrible QB but he is an asshole and I don't think he does anything to help the team out in the locker room. I think he is just lazy and arrogant. Maybe you can save some money on him and get some better defensive players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I know it's a radical position, but after seeing McCown shine in the current Offensive scheme this year, and how PUMPED he is to play with this team (and the team really likes him when he's QB-ing), fuck Cutler. You cut Cutler, keep McCown, and start bidding on a great draft pick to get a hot rookie QB to grow into your program.

Spend the money on some decent D and start McCown. McCown might not be super-star caliber (let's face it, neither is Cutler), but the #s show he had similar TDs/game, similar completion stats/game, but DRASTICALLY FEWER turnovers.

Last edited by Zanshin on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:07 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

The only thing I'd say is that McCown opponents were weaker, but I do like him in this scheme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:39 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
The only thing I'd say is that McCown opponents were weaker, but I do like him in this scheme

He's got the receivers and line he needs to look great. Look how well Schaub performed in Houston when they had a good line.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Drunk247 wrote:
Skull1 wrote:

He's got the receivers and line he needs to look great. Look how well Schaub performed in Houston when they had a good line.

This right here is the biggest indictment of Cutler's ability. He floundered when he had the worst o-line in football, and that's fair. Anyone, save the Bradys and Rodgerses of the world, probably would. Emery did a fucking bang up job putting together a formidable line and he's still not a "winner". Whose fault is that, then?

Believe it or not, there are teams out their with worse qb situations than the Bears and they will happily park a truck load of cash in Cutler's front yard to come bail them out of football hell and that's the bottom line. He very well may be worth for them. McCown proved he's not worth it to the Bears. Even signing McCown at an overvalued multiple year contract is better for the team than franchising Cutler or, God forbid, giving him another bloated contract. Their offense is good enough WITHOUT him and the defense can't get better WITH him.

I was never a fan of Cutler, mostly because of what we gave up to get him. I like him even less now because his continued presence on the team drags the franchise further away from the Superbowl every year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I'd miss the cigarettes though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:20 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/4287813/

Um. What?

Guess you get your cigarette gifs, Jabe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Carpetbagger wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/02/jay-cutler-seven-year-contract-tim-jennings/4287813/

Um. What?

Over $50 million guaranteed, according to ESPN Sportscenter-dude-who's-on at 1-2pm-ish. Looks like there's a lot of hope for the Packers and the really talented Lions to keep struggling over the next few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:29 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Carpetbagger wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/02/jay-cutler-seven-year-contract-tim-jennings/4287813/

Um. What?

But wait, isn't everyone saying he sucks?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

:fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck: :fuck:

:indeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Please put me on record here and now:

The Bears will make the big game within Cutler's new contract years if they are able to rebuild the D.

OK. Go ahead and slam me cuz that rebuild thing is the impossible caveat, but they have some time to do it. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can pull it off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

MrDooo wrote:

The Bears will make the big game within Cutler's new contract years if they are able to rebuild the D.

OK. Go ahead and slam me cuz that rebuild thing is the impossible caveat, but they have some time to do it. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can pull it off.

The point here I think is that they would have done so WITHOUT Cutler if they could rebuild the D. Cutler is not a Peyton or a Brady or even a Romo or anyone you want to build a team around. Not saying he's bad, he's just not the Star caliber the league wants at this point. If your team operates within the same performance envelope with a backup QB (I'm speaking both this season and in 2006 when we made it to the Superbowl) then your primary QB is not worth their money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Zanshin wrote:
MrDooo wrote:

The point here I think is that they would have done so WITHOUT Cutler if they could rebuild the D. Cutler is not a Peyton or a Brady or even a Romo or anyone you want to build a team around. Not saying he's bad, he's just not the Star caliber the league wants at this point. If your team operates within the same performance envelope with a backup QB (I'm speaking both this season and in 2006 when we made it to the Superbowl) then your primary QB is not worth their money.

I hear ya. I also agree with you. I'm just the kind of optimist that thinks (hopes) that Cutler has more star power in him than we've seen so far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Fuck. Hester's probably gone.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly ... 27021.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:31 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

MrDooo wrote:

Unfortunate, but not that surprising. This was his best season in a few years, and yeah, best returner season out of all returners in 2013, but he's gonna want more money than he's probably worth next year under a new contract I bet.

We'll always have 2006.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Podlesh (punter) released. There's still two other backup punters, but come on, LET'S GET CHRIS KLUWE TO COME TRY OUT AND MAKE THE BEARS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... cago-bears

(There's no way Kluwe would even try out at this point I don't think. He seems resigned to his fate now).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

They need to lock up Patrick Mannelly right stat now. Longest tenured Bear in history and still one of the best long snappers in the game. If his body is right for another season, it needs to be in a Bears uniform.

So I can wear my Patrick Mannelly jersey for at least one of his games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Fuck. Yes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 7847.story

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Bears just might have a D this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:00 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

MrDooo wrote:

Did you mean a "dick" because that's what the youngsters call it these days; "the D".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Whenever I think of D.... (maybe NSFW?)

Last edited by Drunk247 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

MrDooo wrote:

They're quietly building an average defense (to compliment the statistically BANGING offense) the way you're supposed to do it: Discounted guys on 1 year prove it or veteran deals, slightly overpaying proven locker room guys on career end contracts, and positioning themselves for depth in the draft. Doesn't matter who is at the helm on the offensive side, they have the ability to produce. All they need is a slightly better than average D and they are playoff bound.

It's fucking genius level management and it's something we haven't seen for almost 2 decades. I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Carpetbagger wrote:
MrDooo wrote:

They're quietly building an average defense (to compliment the statistically BANGING offense) the way you're supposed to do it: Discounted guys on 1 year prove it or veteran deals, slightly overpaying proven locker room guys on career end contracts, and positioning themselves for depth in the draft. Doesn't matter who is at the helm on the offensive side, they have the ability to produce. All they need is a slightly better than average D and they are playoff bound.

It's fucking genius level management and it's something we haven't seen for almost 2 decades. I love it.

Seriously, all of this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Like, for realsies, I'd be okay if this is the team we started the season with. They've improved on every facet of the d that was lacking last year, even if it was a marginal increase (saftey), or maintained production where it wasn't so bad.

If one of the all star safety's from this draft is available at 14 (as they most likely will be), I feel confident that they can run the nfc north this year, barring a string of catastrophic injuries, a la last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am 
Silverback
Silverback

So, I didn't follow the draft at all this year, but I've been doing a Google search for my favorite college player every day of the draft, and was kinda excited for where he finally ended up:

Jordan Lynch (QB NIU, Heisman candidate) was signed as a free agent with DA BEARS.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 3425.story

What could be the most exciting was Trestman said "there's like 10 things we could do with you." So he is supposedly signed as a running back, because yes, he runs better than he throws (his FBS records are all rushing ones), but there hasn't been a Running Back in the NFL who can throw as well as Lynch.

I'm kinda hopeful for a new kind of back here. I'm imagining a Throwing Back. A dual threat back who can punch a hole in an O-line but at the same time pull up short and hit a 12 yard outlet pass once he sees the D commit to the run. And Lynch has the head for that kind of game, too.

The only way that works though is if he's part of the regular rotation. They can't play him like Hester as a gadget play wide-out who only comes in for crazy plays or the D will expect it.

I doubt we'll see a lot from him this year, but I'm hopeful. I wanna see this kid play.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:18 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

That would be interesting but it sounds like an option game that doesn't translate well to the speed of the NFL. Like pulling up to pass when the d commits to run. Maybe once in a while you get the blocks you need to get off a good pass. I see this type of play resulting in an early end to a rookie season.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:40 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

The draft: some gay guy kissing his boyfriend or something. Thats about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:56 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Drunk247 wrote:
That would be interesting but it sounds like an option game that doesn't translate well to the speed of the NFL. Like pulling up to pass when the d commits to run. Maybe once in a while you get the blocks you need to get off a good pass. I see this type of play resulting in an early end to a rookie season.

You're probably right. Still want to see what Lynch can do. I'm hoping it's even remotely amazing.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Drunk247 wrote:

You're probably right. Still want to see what Lynch can do. I'm hoping it's even remotely amazing.

It may work if you were running a sweep or something like that. There is the possibility that you get the corner to break on the run and the guy has a chance to launch it. That would be similar to a QB bootleg.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

There's no question that he was the best running qb in the ncaa last year. Also no question that Trestman gets the benefit of the doubt (for now) regarding qbs. He managed to get cutler to play almost to the level he had when he went to the pro bowl and he got a career backup to be the best qb in the league.

That said, I don't think Lynch cracks the team as a qb. He's a situational gimmick guy in this offense unless his throwing improves dramatically. Wildcat or short yardage disguised pass plays only. I hate comparing him to Tebow, but that's unfortunately where his skillset places him. He CAN make the short easy throws, but he isn't going to kill an nfl secondary through the air and I don't think he's as good a runner as RGIII or Newton. Huge upside though, absolutely no risk pickup. I'll take it. At worst, he should make a competent RB if they have to go to RB by committee. He had good/great vision as a qb and I think it will be more effective if he doesn't also have to worry about taking a blindside hit while scrambling in the pocket.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Bears long snapper Mannelly to retire after 16 seasons
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/523623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:48 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:
Bears long snapper Mannelly to retire after 16 seasons
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/523623

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I got my Mannelly jersey after the season was over last year. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Well, that sucks :(

At least he had a super long career.

I was also sad to hear Idonije (sp?) got cut.

I WAS excited though to see Lynch still practicing (at what looks like a Half/Full/Runningback position?) when they showed the new Rookie QB footage last night :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:49 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Well, that sucks :(

At least he had a super long career.

I was also sad to hear Idonije (sp?) got cut.

I WAS excited though to see Lynch still practicing (at what looks like a Half/Full/Runningback position?) when they showed the new Rookie QB footage last night :D

Idonije getting cut is actually a good thing, though. He's long in the tooth on a defense with a lot of new and talented faces at his position. His best attribute at this point is probably locker room leadership, but we need more on the field ability at this point.

Also, I'm betting Lynch is retained as a practice squad guy. They won't put him there until the last preseason game to prevent anyone from snatching him, but I think the Bears are willing to gamble on him to find out what he can do in a pro offense before they let him walk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Home