It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:43 am

Post subject: Cool military tech that never happened
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am 
Silverback
Silverback

How bad ass would this have been?

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/05/t ... rces_2.php

A hollowed out 747 filled with jet fighters that can launch and and come back to rearm and refuel...in flight...

Oh hell yes

Post subject: Re: Cool military tech that never happened
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:34 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Awwww maaaaaaan!! Straight outta James Bond, America style!

What's funny is swept wing tech would have helped solve the micro fighter problem. Put 8 or 9 in there with swept wings instead of 10 tiny fixed wing interceptors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:36 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

If you look at the pics, Boeing came up with some fold up wing designs like the f18 has for carriers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Skull1 wrote:
If you look at the pics, Boeing came up with some fold up wing designs like the f18 has for carriers

I did. They're all fixed wing. Some of them have big tail fins attached to the wings (which might look like a folding wing), but they're all fixed delta-wing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:20 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Against 1970s or modern conventional enemies, it would have to be stealth. And/or have a triple-axis 360 degree Phalanx system against enemy SAMs. And maintain stealth while the launch bay doors are open. The micros would need to be stealth as well. Otherwise it's a big slow death trap/money pit for even 1960's air defense systems. Good for war contractors, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:51 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
Against 1970s or modern conventional enemies, it would have to be stealth. And/or have a triple-axis 360 degree Phalanx system against enemy SAMs. And maintain stealth while the launch bay doors are open. The micros would need to be stealth as well. Otherwise it's a big slow death trap/money pit for even 1960's air defense systems. Good for war contractors, though.

You're almost certainly right.

HOWEVER.

Let's play fun movie conspiracy theory (James Bond, America Style!). If the US government just made them all look like TWA with complete markings, fake radar sigs, tail #s, etc, so they didn't look any different on the outside, the only way the enemy would know there was an enemy jet lurking outside of their airspace would be to track what airport that plane took off from, or notice that maybe it booked a different flight plan than it was on. Otherwise, it would be a 747 passenger jet claiming to be flying people along a route other passenger jets typically fly along...

Granted, if they were within 10 minutes of a SAM battery it's all over when the 747 suddenly starts spawning little mini jets, but it's a fun Bondian type movie twist!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:28 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Keer wrote:

You're almost certainly right.

HOWEVER.

Let's play fun movie conspiracy theory (James Bond, America Style!). If the US government just made them all look like TWA with complete markings, fake radar sigs, tail #s, etc, so they didn't look any different on the outside, the only way the enemy would know there was an enemy jet lurking outside of their airspace would be to track what airport that plane took off from, or notice that maybe it booked a different flight plan than it was on. Otherwise, it would be a 747 passenger jet claiming to be flying people along a route other passenger jets typically fly along...

Granted, if they were within 10 minutes of a SAM battery it's all over when the 747 suddenly starts spawning little mini jets, but it's a fun Bondian type movie twist!

To be TWA 747s the only fix would have to be that "center fuel tank explosion malfunction", true. Impervious to SAMs after that ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:39 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Too much?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Yo dawg. I herd you like jets so I put a jet on your jet so you can jet while you jet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:28 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

A 747 filled with cruise missile launchers...

http://bit.ly/1NElLj8

Home