PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files ... s-with-fox

Post subject: Re: X-Files reboot?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:53 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

A reboot of X-Files is really weird. Like Twin Peaks, it's VERY much a product of the era it was made in. Like, X-Files IS the 90s. Taking it out of that era makes it lose part of the appeal. I think that's why the movies don't work as well. We are in an age of VERY REAL government conspiracies against it's citizens. I don't have to imagine aliens as a big bad. The monsters are already here. We elected them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:10 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
A reboot of X-Files is really weird. Like Twin Peaks, it's VERY much a product of the era it was made in. Like, X-Files IS the 90s. Taking it out of that era makes it lose part of the appeal. I think that's why the movies don't work as well. We are in an age of VERY REAL government conspiracies against it's citizens. I don't have to imagine aliens as a big bad. The monsters are already here. We elected them.

Agreed. I loved the show but the element of discovery has greatly diminished. Even for new audiences. For many people, X-Files was a journey for the skeptic to be informed and the believer to be affirmed. Today's audience wants either to see relevant repercussions from Mulder's efforts. Or the audience is too apathetic even if they do believe all of the conspiracies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Didn't we already do this with Fringe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Carpetbagger wrote:
Didn't we already do this with Fringe?

I was thinking the same but I would still judge an X-Files reboot on its own merits because Fringe lifted so much from it. Fringe was my first taste of JJ Abrams being crudely derivative almost to the point of a full hack. A co-worker who had never seen X-Files begged me to watch the show. After a few episodes I couldn't watch anymore. I'd seen so many elements before. And then when the shapeshifting alien assassins (Bounty Hunter) showed up, that was too much. Geez, at least wait a full generation after the host show ends before you parasite it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/21/the-x-f ... than-ever/

'Now With Camera Phones to Record GreySporeZombieSasquatchEelMan!'

- Mulder should have an unauthorized surveillance drone in his trunk, built by The Lone Gunmen...

- Vapor Inhaling Man?

- new 'Deep Throat' = Edward Snowden via DarkSkype. Mulder could swipe his credit card at a gas station pump, and on the pump TV screen pops up Snowden.

Help me out here...

(I'm gonna watch if they re-start it...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:26 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:
- new 'Deep Throat' = Edward Snowden via DarkSkype. Mulder could swipe his credit card at a gas station pump, and on the pump TV screen pops up Snowden.

Help me out here...

Only if he is stylized as Max Headroom. He could pop up on mobile devices and in walmart electronics aisles...

I think that deep throat needs to be someone in the inner circle to be truly effective and full on conspiracy enough to have the right effect. Snowden was just a contractor/thief/confidence man. I don't think that I would get the enjoyment from the show if they used someone like that.

The Lone Gunmen are now late night radio talk show hosts with a huge following in the long haul trucking community.

Home