It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

"Transparisteel" as in zee Star Wars books. Stronger than transparent aluminum and Gorilla Glass. Nobel Prize

Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Hmm... I now have to rethink my bunker plans again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Hmm...I may have to rethink my Fortress of Solitude plans...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Drunk, you could just build your bunker with pencils.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Wow, this is huge.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 am 
Silverback
Silverback

I just want to know when we start transporting the whales. And I think you can see Scotty in the background in that one photo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
I just want to know when we start transporting the whales. And I think you can see Scotty in the background in that one photo.

Funny, one of the first things I thought of was Scotty speaking into the bottom of the mouse when he was trying to give away the formula for transparent aluminum (from the same movie).

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe-Z wrote:
Funny, one of the first things I thought of was Scotty speaking into the bottom of the mouse when he was trying to give away the formula for transparent aluminum (from the same movie).

I think of it every time I sit down at someone else's computer.

Computer! Computer?

True story, I had someone in college do almost that with the mouse when they sat at a Mac Classic for the first time (never having seen a mouse). At one point she had the mouse backwards (cord pointing at her) and couldn't figure out why it didn't work right. Then she had it up in the air mousing it through the air in 3D. I turned it over to show her how the track ball worked, and that she has to roll it, and she turned it over and tried to move the ball with her fingers.

At first I couldn't tell if she was really that dumb or like an amazing actress putting on a live performance art piece. Turns out she was just that dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
True story, I had someone in college do almost that with the mouse when they sat at a Mac Classic for the first time (never having seen a mouse). At one point she had the mouse backwards (cord pointing at her) and couldn't figure out why it didn't work right. Then she had it up in the air mousing it through the air in 3D. I turned it over to show her how the track ball worked, and that she has to roll it, and she turned it over and tried to move the ball with her fingers.

At first I couldn't tell if she was really that dumb or like an amazing actress putting on a live performance art piece. Turns out she was just that dumb.

...and I thought the people at Best Buy (back in the 90s) who put it on the floor as a foot pedal were dumb-asses. Or the CD-ROM cup holder - all of which I can attest is not urban legend but frequently occurred back then.

Now that I think of it, that was the real golden age of computer dumb-assery. People were coming in left and right buying Packard Bells and Compaqs for 3 grand, not knowing what they wanted or needed it for other than some idea that their kids would do better at school if they had one sitting in the house.

I had a lady return three monitors before realizing the VGA cable was not supplying power and that the second power cord (included with the monitor!) indeed had it's own non-trivial function.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe-Z wrote:
...and I thought the people at Best Buy (back in the 90s) who put it on the floor as a foot pedal were dumb-asses. Or the CD-ROM cup holder - all of which I can attest is not urban legend but frequently occurred back then.

Yeah dude my Mom was a big sewer, so she thought it was a foot pedal too. Especially the one we got with the PC Jr. It was kinda foot pedal shaped even. Pretty sure my Dad got it for the reason you mention (kids will do better at grades with it in the house), and he was right; I taught myself how to program in Basic on it and would later go on to take some programming classes because of it. I wouldn't be where I am now without that thing, probably.

But yeah man, that was seriously the golden age of computer stupid. Had a business student once come into the computer lab and ask "how do you capitalize" and I started opening my mouth to say "isn't that when you make more money than you spend?" and Liz just blurted out "you mean like on a typewriter? The shift key?"

THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it and we wind up losing a lot of good functionality because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:

Yeah dude my Mom was a big sewer, so she thought it was a foot pedal too. Especially the one we got with the PC Jr. It was kinda foot pedal shaped even. Pretty sure my Dad got it for the reason you mention (kids will do better at grades with it in the house), and he was right; I taught myself how to program in Basic on it and would later go on to take some programming classes because of it. I wouldn't be where I am now without that thing, probably.

But yeah man, that was seriously the golden age of computer stupid. Had a business student once come into the computer lab and ask "how do you capitalize" and I started opening my mouth to say "isn't that when you make more money than you spend?" and Liz just blurted out "you mean like on a typewriter? The shift key?"

THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it and we wind up losing a lot of good functionality because of it.

I didn't meant to call your mom and dad dumb-asses. :roll:

No, but in all seriousness, a lot of those kids never went on to learn shit from the computer and you could almost always tell which ones it was going to be at the store (they had this glazed look of disinterest throughout the whole purchase vs the kids that were practically shitting themselves that mom and dad were not only at Best Buy, but actually buying a PC). I guess it was their job as parents to open the gates but a lot of those kids never made anything of it. Now they're cleaning toilets or they're on week one-hundred-something of current extended unemployment bennies.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Zanshin wrote:
...THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it...

So now you're calling AJ a monkey? :flingpoo2:

Yeah, so he has a little trouble with a mouse. Big fuckin deal. He does great with the ipod. He knows exactly how to get to his doodlebuddy, make hershey chocolate milk, or open netflix to stream dora.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:22 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

MrDooo wrote:
Zanshin wrote:
...THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it...

So now you're calling AJ a monkey? :flingpoo2:

If he's NOT a monkey I'd say you're doing a poor job as one of the Elder Monkeys here. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Fuck, man. I miss those days. Selling computers to hapless people..which reminds me..

Jabe,

Remember Steve? That man smoked like a fucking feign. Jabe and I used to work with this dude at Best Buy who was the primo definition of a chain smoker. He'd smoke it down to the filter it was amazing. The smoking break room kicked ass though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Illbleed wrote:
Fuck, man. I miss those days. Selling computers to hapless people..which reminds me..

Jabe,

Remember Steve? That man smoked like a fucking feign. Jabe and I used to work with this dude at Best Buy who was the primo definition of a chain smoker. He'd smoke it down to the filter it was amazing. The smoking break room kicked ass though.

Wow, I forgot about him. That man was a cigarette NINJA. But seriously for pimpness, Lethario was the master.

Jabe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am 
Silverback
Silverback

You guys should have seen my Dad when he smoked. Most people didn't even know he smoked, because he'd kill a cigarette in two drags, down to the filter, and then be back to doing his job, not even smelling like smoke. It's as if he hated cigarettes, but was so addicted to the nicotine he'd try and kill it as fast as possible.

Thankfully he only stress smoked, and has now quit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
You guys should have seen my Dad when he smoked. Most people didn't even know he smoked, because he'd kill a cigarette in two drags, down to the filter, and then be back to doing his job, not even smelling like smoke. It's as if he hated cigarettes, but was so addicted to the nicotine he'd try and kill it as fast as possible.

Thankfully he only stress smoked, and has now quit.

Never met your dad, but that sounds like someone who spawned you.

I HATE EVERYTHING, EVEN THE THING THAT BRINGS ME JOY IN LIFE.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Carpetbagger wrote:

LOL. He's technically my Step Dad, but yeah, we get along pretty well. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Carpetbagger wrote:

LOL. He's technically my Step Dad, but yeah, we get along pretty well. :)

Ah, so your general disdain for life may have been LEARNED. Suck on that, genetics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:45 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe-Z wrote:
Illbleed wrote:

Jabe,

Wow, I forgot about him. That man was a cigarette NINJA. But seriously for pimpness, Lethario was the master.

Jabe

That was one suave ass motherfucker---like Lando and the store was Cloud City. I guess that would make all of us those little trolls that ran around and did shit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Palladium junction, what's your function?
Chemistry Nobel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:
Palladium junction, what's your function?
Chemistry Nobel

Sounds Borg.

Jabe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 am 
Silverback
Silverback

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I'm hoping they figure out to NOT give it legs but another pair of arms if they're going to just station these on the space station. Legs in zero gravity = mostly useless. Make a separate model (or allow it to change into a paid of legs) for ground based missions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

XM-25 in effect! The prototype has been on the Military Channel shows for a while. Looks like it's field ready now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
XM-25 in effect! The prototype has been on the Military Channel shows for a while. Looks like it's field ready now.

Yeah they said it's been in the field for a month? Or couple of weeks?

Bad guys are hosed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:10 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

It's wild. That gun is ready for Mass Effect. AS IS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

How many years 'till law enforcement has it (with stun grenades or chemical rounds)?

I give it 5 years. Gotta recoup that investment!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

All they need now is a portable squad version. Plop it on a tripod and add a computerized aiming system. All the soldier has to do is designate target with a laser and it can do all the work. You could even have each person with a targeting laser and then that thing could just rip through all the points really quick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

specia10ps wrote:
All they need now is a portable squad version. Plop it on a tripod and add a computerized aiming system. All the soldier has to do is designate target with a laser and it can do all the work. You could even have each person with a targeting laser and then that thing could just rip through all the points really quick.

Untill the enemy realizes all they have to do to take your squad out is aim the same laser at your guys. The turret does all the work! ;)

This kind of thing needs to be in the hand of a person at all times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:29 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I bet the ammo alone is expensive as fuck.

Jabe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe-Z wrote:
I bet the ammo alone is expensive as fuck.

And weird. Like, it has to explode backwards fast enough that 3-4000fps being subtracted from its explosion force is still enough to do lethal damage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:24 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Not sure if we covered the trapping of anti-matter in this post thread already. So instead of a link to an article about how they trapped anti-matter before it collided with matter and was destroyed, here's a comic instead:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Navy rail gun test.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Quote:
Navy scientists set a world record Friday during a test of an electromagnetic railgun, a tractor-trailer sized weapon that sends a 20-pound projectile rocketing through the air at seven times the speed of sound.

I <3 Science.

Quote:
Instead, the slug obliterates whatever it hits by sheer force of impact, hence the Navy's Latin motto for the project, "velocitas eradico." Translation: Speed destroys.

Sure, yes, that's the Google literal translation, but I'm pretty sure it's "Speed Kills"

Quote:
On Friday, the schoolbus-sized gun took about 5 minutes to power up before an explosion inside the barrel flung the slug about 5,500 feet through the wooded test range.

Hokay. So the writer just wasn't paying attention at all then. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.

Jabe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe-Z wrote:
So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.

I can't wait 'till the nanites allow them to pull minerals straight out of the water and create shells on the fly. Infinite ammo!

But the real advantage is that the ships are no longer carrying volatile warheads/propulsion. They can take a direct hit in their ammo dump and keep on fighting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Maybe build a ship around a giant railgun(s). The Railgun Carrier!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:

(Not necessarily a railgun carrier, but still)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:

If the railgun is the size of a tractor trailer you wouldn't need a very big ship. Hell, you could probably mount it in an aircraft...

I imagine the only issue with firing accurately is the stability of the vehicle it is mounted from. I see mid sized cruisers deploying 4 sets of these, 2 front, 2 rear, possibly dual cannons in each "turret". Now if it has to be larger are we talking the size of the Estovakian one in Ace Combat 6 or what? How much power is actually required to fire this thing off? They must be using some massive capacitors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:34 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Drunk247 wrote:
How much power is actually required to fire this thing off? They must be using some massive capacitors.

I want to say it takes like 6 minutes to charge each shot, but don't quote me. Might be able to get a faster "reload" time with a nuclear reactor at your fingertips.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Drunk247 wrote:
Keer wrote:

If the railgun is the size of a tractor trailer you wouldn't need a very big ship. Hell, you could probably mount it in an aircraft....

Bigger than a tractor trailer. Too big for a 747 and longer time on station because it doesn't gulp jet fuel. I'm talking about a railgun on a CVN hull hooked up to a CVN's nuke reactor. A ship that can create its own harbor and a landing strip with one shot. Blowing the top off Mt. Suribachi and every enemy hiding in those caves...while shooting from Hawaii. I'm talking about fear keeping the local systems in line. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:58 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Touchable holograms, a la Tony Stark's workshop. Link The e-games of 2040 are going to be amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:13 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
Touchable holograms, a la Tony Stark's workshop. Link The e-games of 2040 are going to be amazing.

That's pretty cool! But e-games? Dude. Porn first. Always. It is the (unfortunate) way of the world.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Keer wrote:

That's pretty cool! But e-games? Dude. Porn first. Always. It is the (unfortunate) way of the world.

I figured that. But games are where I see the first application for this tech. For porn it would have to be more developed to really payoff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I'd be willing to test it out. :lol:

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe-Z wrote:
I'd be willing to test it out. :lol:

Jabe

The last human words of Jabe Adaks before the experiment. Thereafter known as Dr. Jabehattan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:

I can't wait 'till the nanites allow them to pull minerals straight out of the water and create shells on the fly. Infinite ammo!

But the real advantage is that the ships are no longer carrying volatile warheads/propulsion. They can take a direct hit in their ammo dump and keep on fighting.

Its also a much faster time on target and range. This allows offshore batteries to support troops much further inland, and opens up the possibility of hitting mobile targets that a slower moving shell would never catch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

specia10ps wrote:
Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:

Its also a much faster time on target and range. This allows offshore batteries to support troops much further inland, and opens up the possibility of hitting mobile targets that a slower moving shell would never catch.

Maybe even orbital stations?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Home