It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:02 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
"Transparisteel" as in zee Star Wars books. Stronger than transparent aluminum and Gorilla Glass. Nobel Prize

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 am
Posts: 6532
Hmm... I now have to rethink my bunker plans again.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 am 
Offline
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:16 pm
Posts: 7588
Location: Chicago / Aurora
Hmm...I may have to rethink my Fortress of Solitude plans...


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 5509
Drunk, you could just build your bunker with pencils.

_________________
Image
Flavor 'poons! BURSTING with flavor!


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Wow, this is huge.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
I just want to know when we start transporting the whales. And I think you can see Scotty in the background in that one photo.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Zanshin wrote:
I just want to know when we start transporting the whales. And I think you can see Scotty in the background in that one photo.


Funny, one of the first things I thought of was Scotty speaking into the bottom of the mouse when he was trying to give away the formula for transparent aluminum (from the same movie).

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Jabe-Z wrote:
Funny, one of the first things I thought of was Scotty speaking into the bottom of the mouse when he was trying to give away the formula for transparent aluminum (from the same movie).


I think of it every time I sit down at someone else's computer.

Computer! Computer?

True story, I had someone in college do almost that with the mouse when they sat at a Mac Classic for the first time (never having seen a mouse). At one point she had the mouse backwards (cord pointing at her) and couldn't figure out why it didn't work right. Then she had it up in the air mousing it through the air in 3D. I turned it over to show her how the track ball worked, and that she has to roll it, and she turned it over and tried to move the ball with her fingers.

At first I couldn't tell if she was really that dumb or like an amazing actress putting on a live performance art piece. Turns out she was just that dumb.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Zanshin wrote:
True story, I had someone in college do almost that with the mouse when they sat at a Mac Classic for the first time (never having seen a mouse). At one point she had the mouse backwards (cord pointing at her) and couldn't figure out why it didn't work right. Then she had it up in the air mousing it through the air in 3D. I turned it over to show her how the track ball worked, and that she has to roll it, and she turned it over and tried to move the ball with her fingers.

At first I couldn't tell if she was really that dumb or like an amazing actress putting on a live performance art piece. Turns out she was just that dumb.


...and I thought the people at Best Buy (back in the 90s) who put it on the floor as a foot pedal were dumb-asses. Or the CD-ROM cup holder - all of which I can attest is not urban legend but frequently occurred back then.

Now that I think of it, that was the real golden age of computer dumb-assery. People were coming in left and right buying Packard Bells and Compaqs for 3 grand, not knowing what they wanted or needed it for other than some idea that their kids would do better at school if they had one sitting in the house.

I had a lady return three monitors before realizing the VGA cable was not supplying power and that the second power cord (included with the monitor!) indeed had it's own non-trivial function.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Jabe-Z wrote:
...and I thought the people at Best Buy (back in the 90s) who put it on the floor as a foot pedal were dumb-asses. Or the CD-ROM cup holder - all of which I can attest is not urban legend but frequently occurred back then.


Yeah dude my Mom was a big sewer, so she thought it was a foot pedal too. Especially the one we got with the PC Jr. It was kinda foot pedal shaped even. Pretty sure my Dad got it for the reason you mention (kids will do better at grades with it in the house), and he was right; I taught myself how to program in Basic on it and would later go on to take some programming classes because of it. I wouldn't be where I am now without that thing, probably.

But yeah man, that was seriously the golden age of computer stupid. Had a business student once come into the computer lab and ask "how do you capitalize" and I started opening my mouth to say "isn't that when you make more money than you spend?" and Liz just blurted out "you mean like on a typewriter? The shift key?"

THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it and we wind up losing a lot of good functionality because of it.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:
...and I thought the people at Best Buy (back in the 90s) who put it on the floor as a foot pedal were dumb-asses. Or the CD-ROM cup holder - all of which I can attest is not urban legend but frequently occurred back then.


Yeah dude my Mom was a big sewer, so she thought it was a foot pedal too. Especially the one we got with the PC Jr. It was kinda foot pedal shaped even. Pretty sure my Dad got it for the reason you mention (kids will do better at grades with it in the house), and he was right; I taught myself how to program in Basic on it and would later go on to take some programming classes because of it. I wouldn't be where I am now without that thing, probably.

But yeah man, that was seriously the golden age of computer stupid. Had a business student once come into the computer lab and ask "how do you capitalize" and I started opening my mouth to say "isn't that when you make more money than you spend?" and Liz just blurted out "you mean like on a typewriter? The shift key?"

THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it and we wind up losing a lot of good functionality because of it.


I didn't meant to call your mom and dad dumb-asses. :roll:

No, but in all seriousness, a lot of those kids never went on to learn shit from the computer and you could almost always tell which ones it was going to be at the store (they had this glazed look of disinterest throughout the whole purchase vs the kids that were practically shitting themselves that mom and dad were not only at Best Buy, but actually buying a PC). I guess it was their job as parents to open the gates but a lot of those kids never made anything of it. Now they're cleaning toilets or they're on week one-hundred-something of current extended unemployment bennies.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 pm 
Offline
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:16 pm
Posts: 7588
Location: Chicago / Aurora
Zanshin wrote:
...THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it...


So now you're calling AJ a monkey? :flingpoo2:

Yeah, so he has a little trouble with a mouse. Big fuckin deal. He does great with the ipod. He knows exactly how to get to his doodlebuddy, make hershey chocolate milk, or open netflix to stream dora.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:22 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
MrDooo wrote:
Zanshin wrote:
...THAT dumb. I miss the idiots. Now we just dumb everything down (hello iPhone interface) so that a monkey can use it...


So now you're calling AJ a monkey? :flingpoo2:


If he's NOT a monkey I'd say you're doing a poor job as one of the Elder Monkeys here. :P


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 1276
Fuck, man. I miss those days. Selling computers to hapless people..which reminds me..

Jabe,

Remember Steve? That man smoked like a fucking feign. Jabe and I used to work with this dude at Best Buy who was the primo definition of a chain smoker. He'd smoke it down to the filter it was amazing. The smoking break room kicked ass though.

_________________
Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Illbleed wrote:
Fuck, man. I miss those days. Selling computers to hapless people..which reminds me..

Jabe,

Remember Steve? That man smoked like a fucking feign. Jabe and I used to work with this dude at Best Buy who was the primo definition of a chain smoker. He'd smoke it down to the filter it was amazing. The smoking break room kicked ass though.


Wow, I forgot about him. That man was a cigarette NINJA. But seriously for pimpness, Lethario was the master.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
You guys should have seen my Dad when he smoked. Most people didn't even know he smoked, because he'd kill a cigarette in two drags, down to the filter, and then be back to doing his job, not even smelling like smoke. It's as if he hated cigarettes, but was so addicted to the nicotine he'd try and kill it as fast as possible.

Thankfully he only stress smoked, and has now quit.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 5509
Zanshin wrote:
You guys should have seen my Dad when he smoked. Most people didn't even know he smoked, because he'd kill a cigarette in two drags, down to the filter, and then be back to doing his job, not even smelling like smoke. It's as if he hated cigarettes, but was so addicted to the nicotine he'd try and kill it as fast as possible.

Thankfully he only stress smoked, and has now quit.


Never met your dad, but that sounds like someone who spawned you.

I HATE EVERYTHING, EVEN THE THING THAT BRINGS ME JOY IN LIFE.

_________________
Image
Flavor 'poons! BURSTING with flavor!


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:24 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Carpetbagger wrote:
Never met your dad, but that sounds like someone who spawned you.

I HATE EVERYTHING, EVEN THE THING THAT BRINGS ME JOY IN LIFE.


LOL. He's technically my Step Dad, but yeah, we get along pretty well. :)


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 5509
Zanshin wrote:
Carpetbagger wrote:
Never met your dad, but that sounds like someone who spawned you.

I HATE EVERYTHING, EVEN THE THING THAT BRINGS ME JOY IN LIFE.


LOL. He's technically my Step Dad, but yeah, we get along pretty well. :)


Ah, so your general disdain for life may have been LEARNED. Suck on that, genetics.

_________________
Image
Flavor 'poons! BURSTING with flavor!


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:45 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 1276
Jabe-Z wrote:
Illbleed wrote:
Fuck, man. I miss those days. Selling computers to hapless people..which reminds me..

Jabe,

Remember Steve? That man smoked like a fucking feign. Jabe and I used to work with this dude at Best Buy who was the primo definition of a chain smoker. He'd smoke it down to the filter it was amazing. The smoking break room kicked ass though.


Wow, I forgot about him. That man was a cigarette NINJA. But seriously for pimpness, Lethario was the master.

Jabe


That was one suave ass motherfucker---like Lando and the store was Cloud City. I guess that would make all of us those little trolls that ran around and did shit.

_________________
Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Palladium junction, what's your function?
Chemistry Nobel

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
Keer wrote:
Palladium junction, what's your function?
Chemistry Nobel


Sounds Borg.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
I'm hoping they figure out to NOT give it legs but another pair of arms if they're going to just station these on the space station. Legs in zero gravity = mostly useless. Make a separate model (or allow it to change into a paid of legs) for ground based missions.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
XM-25 in effect! The prototype has been on the Military Channel shows for a while. Looks like it's field ready now.

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Keer wrote:
XM-25 in effect! The prototype has been on the Military Channel shows for a while. Looks like it's field ready now.



Yeah they said it's been in the field for a month? Or couple of weeks?

Bad guys are hosed.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:10 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
It's wild. That gun is ready for Mass Effect. AS IS!

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
How many years 'till law enforcement has it (with stun grenades or chemical rounds)?

I give it 5 years. Gotta recoup that investment!


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 4740
All they need now is a portable squad version. Plop it on a tripod and add a computerized aiming system. All the soldier has to do is designate target with a laser and it can do all the work. You could even have each person with a targeting laser and then that thing could just rip through all the points really quick.

_________________
Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
specia10ps wrote:
All they need now is a portable squad version. Plop it on a tripod and add a computerized aiming system. All the soldier has to do is designate target with a laser and it can do all the work. You could even have each person with a targeting laser and then that thing could just rip through all the points really quick.



Untill the enemy realizes all they have to do to take your squad out is aim the same laser at your guys. The turret does all the work! ;)

This kind of thing needs to be in the hand of a person at all times.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:29 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
I bet the ammo alone is expensive as fuck.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Jabe-Z wrote:
I bet the ammo alone is expensive as fuck.


And weird. Like, it has to explode backwards fast enough that 3-4000fps being subtracted from its explosion force is still enough to do lethal damage.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:24 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Not sure if we covered the trapping of anti-matter in this post thread already. So instead of a link to an article about how they trapped anti-matter before it collided with matter and was destroyed, here's a comic instead:

Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Navy rail gun test.

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Quote:
Navy scientists set a world record Friday during a test of an electromagnetic railgun, a tractor-trailer sized weapon that sends a 20-pound projectile rocketing through the air at seven times the speed of sound.


I <3 Science.

Quote:
Instead, the slug obliterates whatever it hits by sheer force of impact, hence the Navy's Latin motto for the project, "velocitas eradico." Translation: Speed destroys.


Sure, yes, that's the Google literal translation, but I'm pretty sure it's "Speed Kills"

Quote:
On Friday, the schoolbus-sized gun took about 5 minutes to power up before an explosion inside the barrel flung the slug about 5,500 feet through the wooded test range.


Hokay. So the writer just wasn't paying attention at all then. ;)


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Jabe-Z wrote:
So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.


I can't wait 'till the nanites allow them to pull minerals straight out of the water and create shells on the fly. Infinite ammo!

But the real advantage is that the ships are no longer carrying volatile warheads/propulsion. They can take a direct hit in their ammo dump and keep on fighting.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Maybe build a ship around a giant railgun(s). The Railgun Carrier!

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Keer wrote:
Maybe build a ship around a giant railgun(s). The Railgun Carrier!



Image

(Not necessarily a railgun carrier, but still)


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 am
Posts: 6532
Keer wrote:
Maybe build a ship around a giant railgun(s). The Railgun Carrier!


If the railgun is the size of a tractor trailer you wouldn't need a very big ship. Hell, you could probably mount it in an aircraft...

I imagine the only issue with firing accurately is the stability of the vehicle it is mounted from. I see mid sized cruisers deploying 4 sets of these, 2 front, 2 rear, possibly dual cannons in each "turret". Now if it has to be larger are we talking the size of the Estovakian one in Ace Combat 6 or what? How much power is actually required to fire this thing off? They must be using some massive capacitors.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:34 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Drunk247 wrote:
How much power is actually required to fire this thing off? They must be using some massive capacitors.


I want to say it takes like 6 minutes to charge each shot, but don't quote me. Might be able to get a faster "reload" time with a nuclear reactor at your fingertips.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Drunk247 wrote:
Keer wrote:
Maybe build a ship around a giant railgun(s). The Railgun Carrier!


If the railgun is the size of a tractor trailer you wouldn't need a very big ship. Hell, you could probably mount it in an aircraft....


Bigger than a tractor trailer. Too big for a 747 and longer time on station because it doesn't gulp jet fuel. I'm talking about a railgun on a CVN hull hooked up to a CVN's nuke reactor. A ship that can create its own harbor and a landing strip with one shot. Blowing the top off Mt. Suribachi and every enemy hiding in those caves...while shooting from Hawaii. I'm talking about fear keeping the local systems in line. :twisted:

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:58 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Touchable holograms, a la Tony Stark's workshop. Link The e-games of 2040 are going to be amazing.

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:13 pm 
Offline
Silverback
Silverback
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 18950
Location: The Danger Zone
Keer wrote:
Touchable holograms, a la Tony Stark's workshop. Link The e-games of 2040 are going to be amazing.


That's pretty cool! But e-games? Dude. Porn first. Always. It is the (unfortunate) way of the world.


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Zanshin wrote:
Keer wrote:
Touchable holograms, a la Tony Stark's workshop. Link The e-games of 2040 are going to be amazing.


That's pretty cool! But e-games? Dude. Porn first. Always. It is the (unfortunate) way of the world.


I figured that. But games are where I see the first application for this tech. For porn it would have to be more developed to really payoff.

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm
Posts: 8827
I'd be willing to test it out. :lol:

Jabe


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 pm 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 4132
Jabe-Z wrote:
I'd be willing to test it out. :lol:

Jabe


The last human words of Jabe Adaks before the experiment. Thereafter known as Dr. Jabehattan.

_________________
“You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"
"It has happened! I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"
"I never asked who gave the order! Because it had nothing to do with business!"


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 4740
Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:
So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.


I can't wait 'till the nanites allow them to pull minerals straight out of the water and create shells on the fly. Infinite ammo!

But the real advantage is that the ships are no longer carrying volatile warheads/propulsion. They can take a direct hit in their ammo dump and keep on fighting.


Its also a much faster time on target and range. This allows offshore batteries to support troops much further inland, and opens up the possibility of hitting mobile targets that a slower moving shell would never catch.

_________________
Image


Top
 


 Post subject: Re: More Sci-Fi to Sci-Fact
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 am 
Offline
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 am
Posts: 6532
specia10ps wrote:
Zanshin wrote:
Jabe-Z wrote:
So all they need is enough electricity and they pretty much can bombard cities until their reactor core runs dry? I imagine the reduced weight of the ship will allow them better propulsion speed and maneuverability as well.


I can't wait 'till the nanites allow them to pull minerals straight out of the water and create shells on the fly. Infinite ammo!

But the real advantage is that the ships are no longer carrying volatile warheads/propulsion. They can take a direct hit in their ammo dump and keep on fighting.


Its also a much faster time on target and range. This allows offshore batteries to support troops much further inland, and opens up the possibility of hitting mobile targets that a slower moving shell would never catch.


Maybe even orbital stations?


Top
 


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Home

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Board index » Mad Monkey Public Forums » Jibberish
All times are UTC - 6 hours   
Overrun by Effin Monkeys