It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: 193 discs in my Netflix queue...but a bitch ain't one
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:21 am 
Silverback
Silverback

LL Cool Jabe wrote:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67674

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:39 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Skull1 wrote:

One can only hope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Good. Damn good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:37 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

This week's brain teaser will boldly go where no puzzle has gone before. Try and keep up.

This week's puzzle was created by University of Kentucky mathematician Raphael Finkel, and recommended by io9 reader Shahab Tasharrofi. " I created the puzzle as a test case for some software I wrote that assists puzzle creators," Finkel told me when I asked for his permission to feature the puzzle in our weekly puzzle series. "I wanted to try out some pretty complex clues that my software handles." He adds: "I think, by the way, that this puzzle is extremely difficult."

Challenge accepted.

Sunday Puzzle #10: Six Fearsome Heroes

Grobly Grizik is planning to write a novel fashioned after Star Trek: The Next Generation. In this novel, six of the crew members compete both at Fizzbin and at Tridimensional chess. Each crew member gets two independent rankings for ability at these games, with 1 ranked lowest and 6 highest. Every crew member has a personal hero among the crew, and every crew member is afraid of some crew member. Everyone is the hero of somebody, and everyone is feared by somebody. Nobody either fears him/herself nor counts him/herself as a hero. Nobody fears his/her own hero. From the given clues, discover every crew member's ranking at Fizzbin and at Tri-D chess, as well as whom he/she fears and whom he/she counts as a hero:

Geordi ranks 2 at Tri-D Chess.
Picard ranks two positions behind Troi at Fizzbin.
Troi is feared by the person Geordi fears.
Worf's hero ranks 3 times lower at Tri-D Chess than the crew member who is best at Fizzbin.
Picard's hero fears Geordi.
Data's hero is not Geordi.
Data is the hero of Riker's hero.
The person who is worst at Fizzbin is better than Troi at Tri-D Chess.
The person ranked number 3 at Tri-D Chess is ranked 4 positions higher than Data at Fizzbin.
Riker is feared by the person Picard fears and is the hero of Worf's hero.
Riker is ranked 2 lower at Tri-D Chess than the crew member ranked 2 at Fizzbin.
We'll be back next week with the solution – and a new puzzle! Got a great brainteaser, original or otherwise, that you'd like to see featured? E-mail me with your recommendations. (Be sure to include "Sunday Puzzle" in the subject line.)

http://io9.com/can-you-solve-this-extre ... 1667991339

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

So-- sorry to rez an older thread, but the topic is relevant.

I'm trying to introduce Star Trek to my kids. We started with TNG Season 1, and it is PAINFUL. I keep saying "remember this was made in 1987".

I did skip a few episodes and just explain them for future plot events- even point out just how much of Star Trek's plot lines were borrowed heavily by other shows.

We're at ep 18, and I don't think the kids can bear it anymore. Where can I start them? even skip to?

Help me monkey-wans you're my only hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:01 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I just watch ST:TNG on BBC America. They only show mostly decent eps. You still get the "this was filmed on a soundstage set" feel but I love the eps they show. The continuity isn't something that I felt was especially strong in ST:TNG. The monster/situation of the week eps (Q, even Borg, Darmak and Jalad, Inner Light) were always the highlight.

Like continuity I feel became way more important with DS9 and later Voyager, where you had to follow the regional politics. I feel like the only part where ST:TNG continuity becomes important is in the Romulan/Klingon politics, and they usually do a decent enough job in the ep of explaining why shit's going south without having to be a Star Trek scholar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:34 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Arnos wrote:
I'm trying to introduce Star Trek to my kids. We started with TNG Season 1, and it is PAINFUL. I keep saying "remember this was made in 1987".

Their enjoyment will partly depend on their ages. How "kid" are they? And even then each generation has it's action threshold. And even the most cerebral kid, in this generation, is going to be accustomed to a higher amount of physical action and implied (at least) sexual action than audiences of the same age from 30 years ago.

And then there is just plain old personal preference. I grew up and went to school with almost exclusively bright and even deep-thinking kids. Not even half of them were Trek fans. So, no matter where you start them they just may not dig it enough to watch years' worth of "old" shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:16 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Kai -13, Noe -11, Sophia, 7

Kai likes most things Sci-Fi. I think our mistake was starting them on Stargate SG-1 years ago, then Doctor Who, Eureka, Smallville, Warehouse 13, and most recently Chuck. OHHHhh- we did start them on Justice League before all that though (priorities).

Noe so far is my star pupil. She can see in into plot and jargon and asks the questions that we used to ask when watching the series ("why don't they just transfer power from the structural integrity field?"). She knows details about people that only true geeks know (watching Agents of Shield- "Wait- that's Mockingbird? why isn't she blond?!?")

We should have started the Star Trek training a loong time ago, not sure why I waited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Maybe a snippet (or a dozen) might pique their interest? Now, or in years to come. This scene always stuck with me. And in my personal life I have benefited from "finding that one reason and pushing until it stuck." For me, this scene ranks up there with "Risk is our business."

"In every revolution, there's one man with a vision."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:36 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I just found out about this...

Will be pitched to CBS this month as an ongoing series:

Synopsis: It is ten years after Voyager’s return from the Delta Quadrant, and the Federation is in a crisis. The Federation’s main suppliers of dilithium crystals are disappearing. Space and time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any contact with outside worlds. And this phenomenon is not natural – someone or something is causing this to happen. This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation’s normal jurisdiction. For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander Tuvok, Voyager’s former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized Section 31. Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew – mostly outcasts and rogues – even criminals. This new crew is tasked with finding out what is causing the folding of time and space, and stopping it – at all costs. But will they be able to put aside their differences and stop trying to kill one another in time to accomplish their mission?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

I liked what I saw, but I fear the "Star Warsing" and "Battlestar-ing" of Trek.

I guess if this is the only way we get new Trek, so be it.

Admittedly I wish it was Captain Worf. I'd rather watch some Next-Gen era stuff than post Voyager (even if it has Chekov in it).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:10 pm 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

I fear not the upping of excitement in Trek...

make it fucking so

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:42 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Just re-watched TNG on Blu-ray. Seriously though, I felt Season 7 they finally hit something ultra-amazing and then they went and made the movies. I thought most of the TNG movies sucked which I know makes me an odd man out, but hey it's me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:41 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

LL Cool Jabe wrote:
Just re-watched TNG on Blu-ray. Seriously though, I felt Season 7 they finally hit something ultra-amazing and then they went and made the movies. I thought most of the TNG movies sucked which I know makes me an odd man out, but hey it's me.

I thought they were mostly garbage. First Contact was probably the best in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:42 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

And who the hell is Jabe?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:28 am 

Drunk247 wrote:
And who the hell is Jabe?

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:40 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

LL Cool Jabe wrote:

The only thing that I didn't like about Generations is that Kirk was in it. And that's coming from a primarily Original Series fan. Story integrity is most important for me, but they whored it with no shoes on for the monies. It might have even been my favorite, after the original Khan, if there was no Kirk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:
The only thing that I didn't like about Generations is that Kirk was in it. And that's coming from a primarily Original Series fan. Story integrity is most important for me, but they whored it with no shoes on for the monies. It might have even been my favorite, after the original Khan, if there was no Kirk.

I always felt that Insurrection was the best, because it was the most true to the spirit of TNG. I know people will be shocked by this horrible opinion of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am 
Silverback
Silverback

LL Cool Jabe wrote:
Keer wrote:

I always felt that Insurrection was the best, because it was the most true to the spirit of TNG. I know people will be shocked by this horrible opinion of mine.

I haven't even seen all of the ST:TNG movies. I'm a terrible fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:44 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
LL Cool Jabe wrote:
Keer wrote:

Thanks for out-shocking me with this even worse revelation. lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:33 am 

LL Cool Jabe wrote:
Zanshin wrote:
LL Cool Jabe wrote:
Keer wrote:

Thanks for out-shocking me with this even worse revelation. lol

I don't even really like Star Trek, and have neither seen all of the movies of all the TV shows. *takes a bow* (There should really be a smile for that)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:26 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Hashum wrote:
I don't even really like Star Trek, and have neither seen all of the movies of all the TV shows. *takes a bow* (There should really be a smile for that)

Heresy! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Kes has gone off the rails again...

NBC5 Chicago wrote:
Multiple media outlets report that 41-year-old Jennifer Ann Lien, who played "Kes" on the TV show, is charged with two misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure involving children under age 13, according to an arrest report.

Roane County Sheriff's Office deputies served the warrants Sept. 3 at Lien's Harriman home, where they say she was naked under a blanket on her couch. Deputies say Lien refused their requests to get dressed.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/entertainment ... 42731.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:25 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

MrDooo wrote:

The children, mostly boys, were quoted as saying "why couldn't it have been 7/9??"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:33 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe Cutler wrote:
The children, mostly boys, were quoted as saying "why couldn't it have been 7/9??"

:lmao:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:24 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

It has come to light that Quark was in Star Trek Insurrection and there is a grainy screen photo to prove it. I wish they had left it in...

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comme ... urrection/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:55 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe Cutler wrote:
It has come to light that Quark was in Star Trek Insurrection and there is a grainy screen photo to prove it. I wish they had left it in...

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comme ... urrection/

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:28 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

So I've been playing Assassin's Creed 4:Black Flag (the pirate one) and I'm roaming the seas blowing up ships and looking for ones to capture and keep in my fleet, when I spy on the horizon...and in my mind is the line from ST 4

Sir...its the Enterprise.

That Man 'o War is now mine :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:40 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

We new it was coming. Now confirmed. Trek is back on TV.

Energize

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:

Energize

I'm excited, moderately.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe Cutler wrote:
Keer wrote:

Energize

I'm excited, moderately.

They revealed it's in the JJverse and thus I am not excited anymore, especially after the new trailer. And, as it turns out they are suing the only new material I am interested in.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-axanar- ... paramount/

I am tired of being disappointed by this franchise. Thankfully Star Wars got a huge lift with the last movie (as in I liked it). So for now I think I am parting ways with Trek. I am tired of waiting and hoping for it. If I am "out" I don't have to be disappointed anymore. Intellectualism doesn't sell and those of who want it can't crowd fund for quality.

When I was a kid I used to think "wow, imagine the shows we'll have when I'm older." Especially after the first Matrix movie came out. I never thought that they'd just keep rebooting the same shit over and over and that I was enjoying the last best decades of original entertainment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:02 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe Cutler wrote:
They revealed it's in the JJverse...

Where was this reveal?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:52 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:
Jabe Cutler wrote:
They revealed it's in the JJverse...

Where was this reveal?

Michael Dorn confirmed on reddit it wasn't going to be the series he was pushing for and in that comment he said he understood it was in the new timeline.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Home