It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: 193 discs in my Netflix queue...but a bitch ain't one
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:48 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

A year or two ago I went back and tried to clear my head and watched the Star Wars movies "in order" 1-6 and tried to piece it all together. Anyway, that was interesting.

But now I have a more noble project. I have decided to watch every episode and movie of Star Trek in chronological order (by release date or air date) from beginning to end, all 193 (193 TV discs + 10 movies I already have not including the new one that will be out by the time I am done with this endeavor, 204 total) discs are in my Netflix queue right now and I will probably get the first two on Tuesday.

I was also considering getting both remastered and original versions of TOS and watching each version of each episode (original then remastered each) but Netflix didn't seem to have both. I decided on order of release date because with all the time travel episodes I would likely cause a temporal paradox while sorting my queue.

It should be noted I will be doing all of this on my 2+ hours of train commuting with my laptop. So I estimate I can clear 13 episodes a week.

*nerdgasm*

Jabe

Post subject: Re: 193 discs in my Netflix queue...all Star Trek
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:56 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Make that 194, just added the documentary: Trekkies.

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:01 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I should also note I already watched the animated series recently which is 4 less discs than would normally be the total. Maybe I should put them in there anyway, ya know for the full experience?

Jabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:00 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I am just trying to get my wife through TOS cast movies right now. We finished 4 but I went to Arkansas and 5 has been sitting here for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am 
Silverback
Silverback

You = insane.

And pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:55 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Something cool is happening through this whole experience...the discovery that I have not seen all the episodes of TOS and possibly TNG. Not that I ever took inventory, I just watched them all the time on TV. So it's not implausible that I just randomly didn't see all of them.

There's nothing better than a "new" episode of your favorite TV show.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am 
Silverback
Silverback

I'm kinda jealous. Like you, I'm pretty sure I've seen every ep of TNG (I can say I've seen a lot of TOS, but I'm sure I haven't seen every ep). I'd be hella excited to see an ep that I may have missed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:52 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
I'm kinda jealous. Like you, I'm pretty sure I've seen every ep of TNG (I can say I've seen a lot of TOS, but I'm sure I haven't seen every ep). I'd be hella excited to see an ep that I may have missed.

Soon man...Jabe TV.

Jabe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:25 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe [Bot] wrote:
Something cool is happening through this whole experience...the discovery that I have not seen all the episodes of TOS and possibly TNG. Not that I ever took inventory, I just watched them all the time on TV. So it's not implausible that I just randomly didn't see all of them.

There's nothing better than a "new" episode of your favorite TV show.

Jabe

Funny I was about to make a thread about "discovering" old Treks, Deep Space 9 in particular. I bought season 2 and am impressed and surprised at the same time. I thought I saw this season way back but the only one I recall is the debut of the Maquis. The rest of the episodes are really good and even edgier than I remember DS9 being overall. More than a few cold blooded endings there.

Episodes Necessary Evil, Second Sight, and Paradise are now among my favorite Trek episodes from any of the series. And what/whenever a new series comes around I want to see characters in the vein of Quark and Garak.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:57 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

DS9 is really the only series that I have had those moments you discuss. It must have been in a really odd timeslot for me to have missed as many episodes as I have. I still have timeline issues when I watch that show.

Occasionally on TOS I will catch a show I have only seen once or twice. I think the one was Mirror, Mirror. I only ever saw that once.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 am 
Silverback
Silverback

I wanted to just say that every time I see this thread title I think:

"193 disks of Star Trek but a bitch ain't one."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:55 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I just started Season 1 of TNG and I must say that I would have never suspected this...but I was spoiled rotten watching TOS.

The quality of the TNG DVDs is horrible. It looks like they took some guys VHS collection and dubbed it straight to the DVD. Horizontal scan lines, wobbly borders, color flicker and other old 80s video distortions are everywhere not to mention the compression is so high you can basically see compression artifacts all over the screen. Spike was airing TNG in HD and it looked fine but these discs (which you can buy for $319.99!) are horrible. I never imagined that TOS would be a better viewing experience than TNG.

Anyway, I have to tell you guys that watching the episodes in order is a different viewing experience entirely, it tells the TNG story the way it was meant to be. I never had this benefit since I really watched them on TV in the early 90s in any order they pleased to run them.

The first episodes are very much like TOS. You can totally tell they are trying to sell this new show to the skeptical fanbase. Dr. McCoy appears in the first episode (he's totally out of character for some reason) and even some of the sound effects of the Enterprise are the same as it's TOS counterpart. Just a lot of interesting stuff I never noticed before.

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

So I am wrapping up season 3 of TNG and I have to continue to say I am still stunned by the crappy video quality of these discs. The remastered TOS discs put these to shame and I hope they remaster TNG soon because I would like to own this collection.

I also need to add that I believe the writers intended the Enterprise D to come off as a pile of shit. I lost count of how many episodes revolved around the idea of the ship malfunctioning or breaking down. Between Wesley letting his nanites loose, Picard going after some ancient civilization after watching their sister ship the Yamato explode to bits and a number of other episodes it's amazing they made it to the fourth season.

Another interesting tidbit, the forewarning of the Borg came in the last episode of the first season. I never realized this until now.

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:55 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe [Bot] wrote:
Another interesting tidbit, the forewarning of the Borg came in the last episode of the first season. I never realized this until now.

Jabe

No, remember we talked about this a couple-three years ago? I was saying how the writers strike of 80-whatever soured me on TNG for years only to later find out that it wasn't TNG's fault. After the first season, TNG left a couple of storylines dead and did not continue them. First, that Borg prelude episode ('Conspiracy' next to last of Season 1) with the parasite aliens that were later re-envisioned as cyborgs instead of insectoids. Second, the reintroduction of the Romulans (Marc Alaimo, later Gul Dukat of DS9, telling Picard "We are back.", 'Neutral Zone' - last of Season 1).

Neither of those storylines were continued and I remember at that time being disappointed. Combined with some of the other things of TNG that I didn't like early on (Wesley, etc), and adult life kicking in I ignored TNG for years after.

The "proto-Borg" (insectoids) were supposed to be the mystery menace to the Alpha quadrant. The Romulans were supposed to have had a few of their frontier bases obliterated and suspected a new Federation super-weapon (a nice twist on the TOS 'Balance of Terror' plot). If not for the writers' strike the second season of TNG was supposed to have had the Federation and Romulans realize that it was a new enemy and team up to stop them. That alliance would have also set the stage for Romulan detente and re-unification with Vulcan that Spock was working on later. Great potential ! But alot of that got pushed back and changed for later in the series.

The producers also decided that it would be easier to make the new enemy more humanoid. Insect costumery would probably look bad on TV even now, much less 20+ years ago. Thus, Borg.

The DS9 continuation novels had a cool take on that 'Conspiracy' insectoid race. They made them aggressive genetic offshoots of the Trill sybionts, exiled long ago and returned to conquer, etc etc. Sort of like the Vulcan-Romulan situation of the Trill race. I haven't read any of the DS9 continuation books but they are supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Keer wrote:
Jabe [Bot] wrote:

Jabe

No, remember we talked about this a couple-three years ago? I was saying how the writers strike of 80-whatever soured me on TNG for years only to later find out that it wasn't TNG's fault. After the first season, TNG left a couple of storylines dead and did not continue them. First, that Borg prelude episode ('Conspiracy' next to last of Season 1) with the parasite aliens that were later re-envisioned as cyborgs instead of insectoids. Second, the reintroduction of the Romulans (Marc Alaimo, later Gul Dukat of DS9, telling Picard "We are back.", 'Neutral Zone' - last of Season 1).

Neither of those storylines were continued and I remember at that time being disappointed. Combined with some of the other things of TNG that I didn't like early on (Wesley, etc), and adult life kicking in I ignored TNG for years after.

The "proto-Borg" (insectoids) were supposed to be the mystery menace to the Alpha quadrant. The Romulans were supposed to have had a few of their frontier bases obliterated and suspected a new Federation super-weapon (a nice twist on the TOS 'Balance of Terror' plot). If not for the writers' strike the second season of TNG was supposed to have had the Federation and Romulans realize that it was a new enemy and team up to stop them. That alliance would have also set the stage for Romulan detente and re-unification with Vulcan that Spock was working on later. Great potential ! But alot of that got pushed back and changed for later in the series.

The producers also decided that it would be easier to make the new enemy more humanoid. Insect costumery would probably look bad on TV even now, much less 20+ years ago. Thus, Borg.

The DS9 continuation novels had a cool take on that 'Conspiracy' insectoid race. They made them aggressive genetic offshoots of the Trill sybionts, exiled long ago and returned to conquer, etc etc. Sort of like the Vulcan-Romulan situation of the Trill race. I haven't read any of the DS9 continuation books but they are supposed to be good.

I remember this conversation, but I just don't remember the details. I knew the scrapped the insectoid thing. But I just didn't recall until now, the signature "scooped up cities" they clearly discussed in that episode. So it took me by surprise.

Now that we're on the topic of the Romulans, why the hell weren't there any movies with the Romulan empire? Besides the stupid one they did with Picard's clone. TNG was so focused on this and then they jsut forgot about it all when the movies came out... bah!

Jabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:38 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe [Bot] wrote:
Now that we're on the topic of the Romulans, why the hell weren't there any movies with the Romulan empire? Besides the stupid one they did with Picard's clone. TNG was so focused on this and then they jsut forgot about it all when the movies came out... bah!

Jabe

Wasted material. The "Red Matter Age" could do alot with the destroyed Romulus situation. Red Matter could be the hot potato that everyone wants to handle. Spock is gone and whatever re-unification goodwill could have gone with him. Movie plots abound.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
Jabe [Bot] wrote:

Jabe

Wasted material. The "Red Matter Age" could do alot with the destroyed Romulus situation. Red Matter could be the hot potato that everyone wants to handle. Spock is gone and whatever re-unification goodwill could have gone with him. Movie plots abound.

It'll continue to be ignored, I bet. Romulans have no "hook" with the general population. Most people who aren't Trek fans understand things like "Kirk, Spock, Klingon, Enterprise." If you put Romulans front and center on a movie poster for Trek 2, people would go "zuh?" and walk away. Klingons? People will stop and go "Oh! Klingons! Rar!" While the new Trek movie had a Romulan villain in it, it wasn't advertised as a Romulan thread or threat; it was the "rebirth of Star Trek," so the villain didn't really matter.

You'll most probably see a Kahn remake next. After that, I'd still expect to see more Klingon than Romulan threats, even with the new "Vulcans have no homeworld" plotline.

But I am with you guys. Romulans have always been this sexy "Soviet Union/Cold War (neutral zone)" type mysterious threat on the horizon that never materialized.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Last week Orci, the co-writer of new Trek, is quoted as saying "We would never do a remake." (link- from the 'Sequel' paragraph. But then I do remember last fall seeing another Orci quote from the same site saying that there was a 50/50 chance that Khan would be in the next movie. Blah. I'm hoping for something different than the easy road.

Edit: Also, my immediate interest for the Romulan plots I mentioned would involve them set in the post-TNG/DS9 series era, involving a new show for that time rather than the alternate Trek movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

Keer wrote:
Edit: Also, my immediate interest for the Romulan plots I mentioned would involve them set in the post-TNG/DS9 series era, involving a new show for that time rather than the alternate Trek movie.

I'd be 100% down with that. My only knowledge of Romulan affairs stems from TNG/DS9. I'm mostly a ToS big ol' virgin. I've seen a handful of eps, mostly the stupid ones with tribbles or giant elder gods (really aliens?) in them. Or a big-assed cornucopia in space. I saw a ton more when I was a wee lad but don't remember any of the plots.

Oh, and the one where Kirk is held in a "human zoo" with that woman who's really all scarred up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 am 
Alpha Monkey
Alpha Monkey
 WWW  Profile

Zanshin wrote:
Keer wrote:

I'd be 100% down with that. My only knowledge of Romulan affairs stems from TNG/DS9. I'm mostly a ToS big ol' virgin. I've seen a handful of eps, mostly the stupid ones with tribbles or giant elder gods (really aliens?) in them. Or a big-assed cornucopia in space. I saw a ton more when I was a wee lad but don't remember any of the plots.

Oh, and the one where Kirk is held in a "human zoo" with that woman who's really all scarred up.

I had the same affliction not too long ago. You best get your history lesson, son:

http://www.cbs.com/video/?showname=clas ... sics#video

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Wow!

First thing that strikes me:

There used to be 28 episodes to a season? And they were 50 and 1/2 minutes long????

Fuck you Hollywood. Now we get 5 less episodes/season and they're at least 8 minutes shorter each?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:51 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Some recommended TOS episodes...that you mayn't have seen.

Season One

- City on the Edge of Forever (my personal favorite...love that Guardian)
- Charlie X (test of wills, Kirk in his best big brother/bully mode)
- What Are Little Girls Made Of? (just damn creepy good)

Season Two

- The Doomsday Machine (Starship Captain Ahab, Scotty in full effect, oooh, really like this one)
- Obsession (insight into Kirk's mania about "My ship! My crew!" )
- Return to Tomorrow (" Risk....risk is our business !" <goosebumps> )

Season Three

- Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (Frank Gorshin, enough said)

There are many more of quality but I had to stop somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I especially like the crew of TOS. It really was multi-cultural. You had Sulu (Japanese/Filipino), Checkov (Russian during a cold war era), Uhura (Swahili), and of course Scotty.
Later Star Treks tried to be as diverse, but never really accomplished it as well as TOS. Voyager was probably the biggest disappointment: Harry Kim (Americanized asian), Tuvok (black vulcan that talked like a uppity white guy), Janeway (man with a skirt on), Chakotay (a tame americanized Native American).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

If you want 99% of all Romulan content from TOS, there are only two episodes required:

Balance of Terror
The Enterprise Incident

Both are excellent episodes well worth watching.

Jabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Arnos wrote:
I especially like the crew of TOS. It really was multi-cultural. You had Sulu (Japanese/Filipino), Checkov (Russian during a cold war era), Uhura (Swahili), and of course Scotty.
Later Star Treks tried to be as diverse, but never really accomplished it as well as TOS. Voyager was probably the biggest disappointment: Harry Kim (Americanized asian), Obama (black vulcan that talked like a uppity white guy), Janeway (man with a skirt on), Chakotay (a tame americanized Native American).

Fixed that for you.

(Although admittedly Obama's still too emotional for a Vulcan).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:

Fixed that for you.

(Although admittedly Obama's still too emotional for a Vulcan).

LOL! Well played Sir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Deanna Troi is getting really annoying. I know people have their Riker and Wesley annoyances but they really shoulda made Deanna more useful. It's fourth season and she still doesn't even wear rank pips.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe [Bot] wrote:
Deanna Troi is getting really annoying. I know people have their Riker and Wesley annoyances but they really shoulda made Deanna more useful. It's fourth season and she still doesn't even wear rank pips.

Jabe

The writers must have discovered the mistake they made (way) too late that they sometimes wrote themselves into a corner with Troi being an empath. Thus she's conveniently used but then conspicuously unused or just not even present.

Professor X had a wheelchair...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I agree with Keer. She was pretty much just a convenience for the crew to have rather than a character that could stand on her own. Even the few episodes that revolved around her seemed lacking. There was one where she was forced into command, one where she decided to finish the command exam, and the whole Ian episode. I'm sure their are others I am missing. But most of the time it was either a quick way for the audience to learn something about a characters motivations without having to develop them in story or a way to show sexual tension.

Unfortunately though, as Keer pointed out, the empath thing would cause the writers issues when she should have known the opponent was being deceptive but giving that away would ruin the plot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Yeah they kinda screwed it up with her big time. The icing to the cake was she finally gets to take a bridge station in Star Trek 7 at helm control and thats when they crash land the saucer section. They must have hated her or something, because she took a lot of crap at conventions (no I am really not kidding) after that.

I also must say 4th season is when Picard begins his Jack Bauer syndrome. He goes through so much shit his character's mental stability defies logic. Assimilation, being mentally taken over and living out an entire life with a dying race and then getting a flute out the deal and then arguing how many lights there are with a Cardassian dude...and I know I am missing some stuff somewhere. oh yeah the last episode where he's tripping out in three different timelines and then his nephew dying in a horrific fire in Star Trek 7. Geezus.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

That is the problem with TV and movies. There just isn't enough time to devote to character development to truly show the strengths and weaknesses of characters. This is especially true when you have a large team that shares the stage. This seems to lead to creating scenarios that are outlandish in order to show the character traits of individuals. While you come away with the idea that this guy is a badass who has no end to his suffering you also start to wonder if that person is even possible. And that is not an issue when the storyline revolves around superheroes because this is a fiction we can naturally accept as just a suspension of disbelief. However when we look at SciFi many time we see a possible future for mankind that can happen. But when you see what the people go through you cannot imagine that the human race will ever be capable of handling that much stress, death, and disappointment without ending up completely cynical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Aw, I really loved 4th season Picard. The flute ep is one of my faves. As is THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.

But I just wanted to throw another bone on the "I hate Troi" pile. She was a very undeveloped character, and I thought the actress who played her didn't help much in that department. Compare Troi with "The Mentalist" (that show on CBS or whatever, where this consultant guy Encyclopedia Browns' his way into criminal's heads), and you can see just how weak she was at figuring out the enemy's motives, despite being an empath.

I also wanted to note just how odd it was that Riker played Trombone. Everything in his character screams Saxaphone. I mean, Trombone? The clown instrument? There is nothing sexy about a Trombone, and I laughed every time they made him play it, because not only is it horribly goofy, but I mean, the actor has no clue how it's supposed to be played.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 am 
Silverback
Silverback

And you guys are forgetting one thing about Jack Bauer Picard: He has no heart! Therefore, he cannot feel emotional pain.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

It should also be mentioned I quit watching 24 about 15 minutes into last season due to Jack Bauer syndrome. If I can't reasonably buy into what I am watching it's not good anymore. Bauer woulda just killed himself at some point, realistically.

Jabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Jabe [Bot] wrote:
It should also be mentioned I quit watching 24 about 15 minutes into last season due to Jack Bauer syndrome. If I can't reasonably buy into what I am watching it's not good anymore. Bauer woulda just killed himself at some point, realistically.

I thought after the first season there was no way they could do a 2nd season. Wife murdered by the double-agent spy you were having an affair with at the CTU office? Putting your daughter in jeopardy too? There's no way anyone would return to THAT JOB after that, and after saving the USA, you'd probably get some kind of special financial accomodation/dispensation for life. Supposedly if you take a bullet for the Pres and live you're "taken care of" for life in the Secret Service. If Jack has to keep earning a paycheck every year for his sacrifices something just ain't right.

But the straw that broke my investment was when he came back from being tortured in China for TWO YEARS and was like "okay let's get back to work" and wasn't a crazy raving lunatic. The show would be so much more believable if they focused on a different character or department of CTU every year instead of Captain Impossible.

But enough of 24's bullshit. We're bogarting your Star Trek thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:24 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jack Bauer is not a "good" man. He does whatever he feels have to be done regardless of the lines he crosses. The only difference between him and a common thug is the fact that he has governmental approval to act the way he does. That does not justify the deeds of the man. Picard strives to live, for better or worse, within a certain set of rules. They are two entirely different characters and I would expect the loss of loved ones to impact Picard more than Bauer. Bauer is able to accept and deal with the bad things that happen to him and those around him because he has made an effort to live in that type of environment. He is already barely on the edge of sanity in most of what he does. But, those are people that are often used by governments when they need a scapegoat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I'm just saying Picard never seemed to get a break.

Jabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
I mean, Trombone? The clown instrument? There is nothing sexy about a Trombone, and I laughed every time they made him play it, because not only is it horribly goofy, but I mean, the actor has no clue how it's supposed to be played.

Ohhh, my friend, noooo. Don't be blinded by some schlock script idea. Allow me to introduce you to a trombone epiphany, a brass revelation, the legendary Fred Wesley (or as I like to think of him "The Horn Identity").

The sliphorn is not only sexy,...but FUNKY! Especially here from 1:29 - 2:20

Riker was whack with it, but the trombone can be smooooth like liquid mercury over silk. And don't make me go wayyyy back and break out some Jack Teagarden, the Sliphorn King, on you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am 
Silverback
Silverback

Okay, THAT man can play Trombone. Riker sucked at it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Random thoughts:

Second half of Season 4, TNG really takes off.

New favorite episode: The Drumhead - Romulan conspiracy aboard the enterprise, the crew is subjected to McCarthy style hearings.

The ship still sucks, how did I never see this before?

Ensign Lefler! Mmmmmmmmmm...

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:58 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Yeah there is that one and the one that the King of Jordan is in.

BTW if you need something to watch while waiting on a new disc they posted Inspector Gadget (cartoon series) to Netflix watch it now. I have been letting my son experience its awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:16 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Drunk247 wrote:
Yeah there is that one and the one that the King of Jordan is in.

BTW if you need something to watch while waiting on a new disc they posted Inspector Gadget (cartoon series) to Netflix watch it now. I have been letting my son experience its awesomeness.

I'll have to add that to the queue!

Jabe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

I never heard of this show - looks hilarious.

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:13 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

More thoughts...

A lot of episodes from TNG and TOS are based on the premise of "unexpected colony of humans found in sector x and now they will die due to y, we need to relocate them but they won't because of z."

Deanna Troi is hot in a full uniform, like WAY hotter. She put it on and never stopped wearing because of Captain Jellico ordering her to when he was Captain of the Enterprise (always wondered if there was a story reason she started wearing it and that's the point where she did).

I've come to realize that Commander Data is probably (ironically) the greatest humanitarian in science fiction.

Finally, there are four lights!!!! I took for granted Patrick Stewart's acting skills when I was young. Heck I took the whole show for granted. I guess I assumed TV would get even better as I got older and honestly the best stuff around these days is a far cry from TNG.

Jabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 pm 
Silverback
Silverback

4 Lights is one of the more amazing performances.

I still like "The Flute" ep, whatever that's called, but I think it's shown abusively, like every other ep in syndication, it seems like it's on all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 pm 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Zanshin wrote:
4 Lights is one of the more amazing performances.

I still like "The Flute" ep, whatever that's called, but I think it's shown abusively, like every other ep in syndication, it seems like it's on all the time.

Damn good stuff in that Chain of Command ("...four lights ! :shakemad: ). I really would like to have seen more Capt. Jellico somewhere, that mean mofo (Ronny Cox in the house!). Inner Light is the first flute episode. It makes a small comeback in Lessons, season six, another good one.

True it sometimes seems like they overplay some eps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:56 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

So I wrapped up TNG. The sad thing here is that this show was at the top of it's game in seasons 6 and 7. They should have done more television and I think the cast and crew felt the same way.

The last Episode "All good things..." they had already made some enhancements to the bridge set off of the movie budget and then they started filming the movie practically immediately after the last episode. DS9 was a year in and Voyager was in pre-production. What a weird time for the franchise.

I started watching Deep Space 9 now. I thought I was going to loathe this since it hasn't been that long since I watched the entire series, but it's been a good time so far.

Jabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 am 
Silverback
Silverback

I thought I would hate DS9, but I found myself really enjoying it. I should get those disks and watch them (since I never saw all of DS9). Oh wait, I don't watch the Netflix disks I have now... :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 am 
Mad Monkey
Mad Monkey

Jabe-Z wrote:
So I wrapped up TNG. The sad thing here is that this show was at the top of it's game in seasons 6 and 7. They should have done more television and I think the cast and crew felt the same way.

The last Episode "All good things..." they had already made some enhancements to the bridge set off of the movie budget and then they started filming the movie practically immediately after the last episode. DS9 was a year in and Voyager was in pre-production. What a weird time for the franchise.

I started watching Deep Space 9 now. I thought I was going to loathe this since it hasn't been that long since I watched the entire series, but it's been a good time so far.

Jabe

It's time for me to see some new Trek on television. Home TV screens have never been bigger, the definition has never been higher, the generation has never been more "Next". Trek has it's roots at the intersection of idealism and edgy grittiness. BSG was very successful in restoking those fires. I think a new Trek television show has the potential of not only being mass market popular again, but being socially relevant again. It doesn't have to hit us over the head with pathos, but a couple shots to the moral solar plexus every now and then COULD happen, HAS happened, we SAW it happen. Don't tell me it couldn't HAPPEN...again.

Arahaawrah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Home